Pumapeople: Rock Hard Suspension.... Must Be Non Standard Springs! - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rock Hard Suspension.... Must Be Non Standard Springs!

#1 User is offline   mmuuzzyy 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

The suspension on our ford puma is rock hard and very bouncy on the road. (goes round corners like nothing else ive driven though.... providing the road is smooth)
Im pretty sure it must have aftermarket springs, as they are red (not a usual colour) and the car looks lower than all the other puma's ive seen.

Does anyone know how to tell if the suspension (front and back) shocks are non standard or goosed ?

How much should i be paying for a set of front and rear standard springs for our puma 1.7 ?

Local motor factors quoted me £72 for a set of standard front springs and £48 for a set of standard rear springs... sound expensive ? does anyone know where i can buy genuine puma parts online ?

ta

#2 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

You get a harder or bouncy ride from many things, including:

1. Lowered (stiffened) springs (as you say).
  2. u/s shock absorbers.
  3. Bigger diameter wheels, with lower profile tyres, do you still have the standard 15" wheels?
  4. Powerflex Bushes, easy to see as they are a purple/mauve colour.
One of the problems you could have, is if the car is lowered and been fitted with shorter shocks, they will not fit with the standard length springs.
I have fitted the Ford optional springs (Eibach), which lower the car by 35mm and use the Standard shocks. IIRC, the Ford price for these is not much more than your motor factor quoted, so the standard springs from a Ford Dealer may be cheaper - worth a call.

I, and others on this site, feel that the Eibachs give a better ride than the standard springs. rolleyes.gif

Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   mmuuzzyy 

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (YOG @ May 22 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You get a harder or bouncy ride from many things, including:

1. Lowered (stiffened) springs (as you say).
  2. u/s shock absorbers.
  3. Bigger diameter wheels, with lower profile tyres, do you still have the standard 15" wheels?
  4. Powerflex Bushes, easy to see as they are a purple/mauve colour.
One of the problems you could have, is if the car is lowered and been fitted with shorter shocks, they will not fit with the standard length springs.
I have fitted the Ford optional springs (Eibach), which lower the car by 35mm and use the Standard shocks. IIRC, the Ford price for these is not much more than your motor factor quoted, so the standard springs from a Ford Dealer may be cheaper - worth a call.

I, and others on this site, feel that the Eibachs give a better ride than the standard springs. rolleyes.gif

Is the ride on the eibachs alot stiffer than the standard suspension ?

#4 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

It's difficult to describe!

The Eibachs give a more "controlled" ride,which makes it more stable, not necessarily firmer. I prefer it, as do many others on this site.

Whereabouts are you, someone near you may have have the Eibachs fitted and give you a test drive? wink.gif
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

If the car's wheels 'drop' into potholes and when you hit a large bump the whole car makes a crashing sound you probably have Pi lowering springs...put them in the bin ASAP rolleyes.gif

#6 User is offline   deeman 

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

I wouldnt bin them straight away because NO puma floats over pot holes or likes going over large bumps, the puma is made for smooth roads - its not a bus. If you got standard wheels and tyres on it and its still too stiff for your local roads change the springs to eibach as they are ment to retain some of the smoothness but still reduce roll etc. If you got aftermarket wheels try changing the tyre profile or the wheel size although neither of these things will make a huge difference but it will defo be noticable and should make thing a bit more comfortable. If the bushes and wishbones have never been changed then do the whole lot as this will make it feel MUCH more responsive in the handling department.

This post has been edited by deeman: 16 July 2008 - 12:24 AM

#7 User is offline   elders 

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:34 PM

My car just failed it's MOT, cracked near side spring.
Q: I could just replace it with a factory fitted one or is worth looking into changing all four spring for Eibachs type? If yes what sort of price would I expect to pay?
Q: What other upgrades should I consider if I'm doing the Springs?
The wheels are standard 15". I drive on twisty bumpy B roads, so too firm ride I think would cause more problem. I guess I need to tackel the roll?
Thanks
Andrew

#8 User is offline   m_kitty 

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

it would be inadvisable to replace a single spring, at least a pair should be done. the rest is up to you, i would suggest though too low and you'll tear the sump out on some of the road crowns also the travel is useful to absorb the bumps.

my opinion is more towards stock springs and uprated dampers, good standard size tyres.

#9 User is offline   loopecoupe 

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

I went to PumaBuild last weekend and had the following fitted -

Eibach springs (-20mm front / -30mm rear)
Full car purple poly bushed
Lower strut brace

Also waiting for an uprated fast road lower engine stabiliser to drop in the post.

I pushed the car harder than ever the other day and it sticks to the road like a go-cart, no joke!, its awesome and was good before.

Ride quality is better in some respects and easily tolerable in others, std shocks work well with these springs and the lower strut brace helps all round especially braking.

The conversion as a whole is well worth it, took around 3 hours for them to do, and they did a top job.

If fitting the lower strut brace, make sure your gearbox mount is ok, they can foul on bits of the underneath, i was lucky my car has only done 40k.

The stabiliser bar for the engine is a big yes yes, needed to tame the movement of the engine, it allows you to get the power down better and stops the chance of you cracking an expensive tubular manifold.

I will post my own opinion of the stabiliser bar when it gets to me.

My Puma now looks better than ever, not silly low but perfect with my 17's and no roll in the bends, it squats down and digs in, whatever the road surface.

Cheers.

Tim
Scrappage......

R I Puma.......

#10 User is offline   elders 

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:03 AM

Many thanks for the tips

#11 User is offline   shunt 

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

Pleased to hear you're chuffed with it Tim (loopecoupe) : am thinking of having the same stuff done myself.

What was the total damage (£) including the work?

#12 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (loopecoupe @ Aug 3 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to PumaBuild last weekend and had the following fitted -

Lowering springs will take a while to settle in, around a month. See how they are then.

#13 User is offline   teeboy 

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

On the subject of replacing springs, as m kitty says, just one is a no-no. It should be done as an axle pair (both sides) as with dampers. If you want standard springs you are looking at about £47 each from Ford (just a bit more than standard fit Ford shocks) - I enquired when I bought a pair of standard rear dampers for my 1.7 - which means a little more money will get you a complete set of Eibachs. After 6 months of bouncing down the barely surfaced cart tracks I drive on, I would get the Eibachs if the ride improves.

Does make me feel like a rally driver at the moment tho'......

#14 User is offline   loopecoupe 

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

Think supply and fit was around the £500 mark but the difference is well worth it.

It has lowered just a bit more but no issues whatsoever, rubbing etc no issues.

Cheers, Tim.
Scrappage......

R I Puma.......

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic