Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjustable Billet Drop Link Steering Arms

#1 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Posted Image

fitted a set of these yesterday, been meaning to try them for a while....

quite the opposite feel I was expecting.. :mellow:

I thought it would stiffen up the steering but in fact the opposite!..

The steering feels very silky smooth almost like you've lubricated the steering wheel itself somehow, when driving along the car steers really quite accurately with even the smallest touch, makes the car feel a bit more 'audi' like

A bit fiddly to setup and install, the boots that you have to pull over the spherical bearings is quite tricky, then it's just a case of building them up in a vice the same length as your standard ones...

Chris
FRP453
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#2 User is offline   ewizzy 

• Group: Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:48 AM

View Posteldoodarino, on 22 August 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

quite the opposite feel I was expecting.. Posted Image

The steering feels very silky smooth almost like you've lubricated the steering wheel itself somehow, when driving along the car steers really quite accurately with even the smallest touch, makes the car feel a bit more 'audi' like

A bit fiddly to setup and install, the boots that you have to pull over the spherical bearings is quite tricky, then it's just a case of building them up in a vice the same length as your standard ones...

Chris
FRP453

They look well made bits of kit :)

#3 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

This looks really nice. So, you reckon they are worth having on board? Where did you get them? How much do they cost, if you don't mind sharing that information?

#4 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:29 AM

available on Ebay £80 delivered.. :good:
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#5 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

View Posteldoodarino, on 25 August 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

available on Ebay £80 delivered.. Posted Image

Do you get them raced or do you use them in everyday traffic? I am no weekend racer, but always appreciated PRECISE steering and fast turn-in....

#6 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

don't take mine on track too often... the difference between these and the standard ones in 'feel' is quite subtle TBH... although as iv'e had the suspension off the floor it will take time to settle...and hopefully they will stay accurate for a good few years compared to the standard ones as they're supposed to be MUCH stronger...

who knows, you don't know till you try.. :)
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#7 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

View Posteldoodarino, on 25 August 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

don't take mine on track too often... the difference between these and the standard ones in 'feel' is quite subtle TBH... although as iv'e had the suspension off the floor it will take time to settle...and hopefully they will stay accurate for a good few years compared to the standard ones as they're supposed to be MUCH stronger...

who knows, you don't know till you try.. Posted Image

hmmm, I am on original props. What wheels and tyres do you have? 17"/ 225/40 R17? Plus it is rather steep upgrade. I think I'll go for rear disc conversion first.
Btw, do you have LSD? That affects steering quite a lot...

This post has been edited by Wild E Coyote: 25 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

#8 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

i'm running 215/40/17 as per FRP and yes iv'e the Ford viscous diff installed... I did wonder if that was affecting the steering feel sometimes... :cool:
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#9 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

It surely must have affected steering. OK, visco is not that 'jerky' in its rections, but every action within diff that is redirecting power is affecting the steering (if it is FWD). I remeber way back driving a original focus RS with quaife diff. Although it is worm type you could feel it especially in tight corners as it would start redirecting power to the outer wheel and thus enhancing turn in to the point where you would loose your rear end (happened to me once). These influences you could feel at the steering wheel.
The beauty of the droplinks you showed here is that you could pretense a stabilising bar up to a point and probably enhance the going straight and minimise initial body roll somewhat. That is something I would like to do on mine puma. That initial body roll: I guess I should have a look at the stabilizer bushes? The shocks are OK, although as the car has covered 132 tkm they could do with refreshing also...
So far have changed the rear bushes ant that was very worthwhile move. Anyway, in next six months tops I am looking at renewing complete suspension step by step and then decide whether to start modifying it with things like these droplinks, LSD etc...

#10 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

View Posteldoodarino, on 22 August 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

quite the opposite feel I was expecting.. Posted Image

Chris
FRP453

Fitted them myself. I can confirm everything Chris said. I have regular, non FRP, 1.7 puma and of all the mods (ST150 brakes, new KYB shocks, new springs at front etc) this one transformed the car most!
IF anyone of you is handy around kitchen, then you must have tried before to slice a peace of meat with a knife that wasn't too sharp? It goes, but it is not very accurate and you need to apply some force? Then you sharpen it and it goes exactly as you want it and like through butter…
That is how I would describe the steering after this mod. And, if you don't mind me saying, it is very much like on alfa 147 when new: sharp, direct, no hesitation at all!
Btw, they cost just about the same as the original droplinks and are waaaaaay better!
RECOMMENDED Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic