Pumapeople: Air Filters/induction Kits - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Air Filters/induction Kits

#1 User is offline   Balders118 

• Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Touch wood not a lot has been going wrong with the old girl lately, although the MOT is due soon so I'm sure that will change! I fancy spending a little on the Puma, is a different filter worth it. I have literally just serviced the car and replaced the air filter, so maybe in a few months and 5000 miles (done in 3 months longest) I might consider a performance upgrade. the options are...

Cone Filter
Standard shape filter in the air box, but a performance one
Full cold air induction kit

Now I'm sure none really give any notable increase in performance? Obviously if they do I would have thought it would be induction kit > Kone > Performance filter?

Really I just fancy a nice grunty induction noise but if spending a bit extra means a noticable performance increase (I doubt it) I will. Whats the difference in terms of grunt noise? From what I understand a cone filter is slightly more expensive than the standard performance one, and an induction kit os about twice as much? is it worth the extra money?

Chris

#2 User is offline   Silverkat 

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hello!

As a rough guide for performance air filters.

Replacement panels are quick and easy but offer only a marginal increase in induction noise,
this varies from filter to filter (cotton v foam etc)
Cone filters offer better induction noise but need to be shielded from under bonnet heat and given a cold air feed.
I've seen many of this type actually lose power through bad fitment.
Sealed filters with direct air feed are probably the best in terms of performance but with less induction noise and
greater cost than open cones.
It is very rare for a filter swap to give a power increase, unless the engine and management are altered most standard airboxes
are more than adaquate. It's also worth remembering that no matter how much air you offer an N/A engine it will only draw what
it can through the throttle body and how much air it needs is largely dependent on engine capacity and state of tune.
One thing I will say is buy a good make of filter as a cheap filter will not flow correctly and will restrict the engine, then just ensure correct fitment
and good cold air feed.

Hope this is useful

PS: A VCT should sound epic at full chat with an open filter, it needs to be done!

#3 User is offline   Kizza 

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

I looked around for a new cheap filter and found a new/old stock k&n that fit straight onto my puma for less than a 5er on ebay when there ment to be nearly 80 plus so have a look around before you buy the first thing you see. and like silverkat said dont buy a cheap crappy filter it wont help the engine as it should and could make you loose a couple of bhp's

#4 User is offline   nemo 

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

If you get the full induction kit, where do you put the mass airflow sensor? Or do you have to find a kit specially for ford?

#5 User is offline   CeReD 

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Avoid cone filters IMO, in most cases they're a detriment to performance. Panel filters are the better buy
Mazda Mx-5 1.8i UK & Ford Puma 1.7VCT
whycantiholdalltheseamazingcars

#6 User is offline   Mikieuk 

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Has anyone thought about adding a cone with a 90 degree bend so it's right being the lower grill ?

#7 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostMikieuk, on 27 September 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Has anyone thought about adding a cone with a 90 degree bend so it's right being the lower grill ?

I have a 45 degree bend on mine to get it in side the original air box surround, so the force fed air from the front fitted hose feeds it.
Seems OK.
It was a case of having to fit it after the FRP air box exploded on my first NOS run on the rolling road :blink:
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic