Pumapeople: Collected My Frp This Morning - Pumapeople

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Collected My Frp This Morning Need some advice with a couple of 'niggles'

#1 User is offline   AdamFRP 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

Collected my FRP this morning and when I test drove it and it was fine, collected a week later, drove all the way home with no problems, then my dad had a drive and all of a sudden it's making a really loud whirring noise. Weird thing is it seems to go away as soon as you touch the brakes - I'm thinking possibly a wheel bearing has given up?

Also another thing that is a little annoying, there is a heat shield rattling somewhere - How do I stop that? Do they just come loose or will I need to replace something?

I'm also going to make sure I sort out the steering rack melting issue I've been reading about, hopefully this one hasn't been too badly affected. wink.gif

Otherwise all seems good, certainly likes 7000 rpm but it seems like rather alot a fuel up at those engine speeds too, so I'll be taking it a little easier from now on laugh.gif

Adam
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#2 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

Could be a loose brake pad(s) - the clips holding the pads in place can become bent if the caliper holding them has oxidised where the clips meets or a garage has pushed the pads into place too hard

Once the clips are bent - the pads start to move around and rub against the disk

You can see if they are in place by looking at the calipers - if you can see 4 triangles with 'holes' around the centre of the caliper and they are all at the same height - they are OK
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#3 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

yep sounds like brake humm to me, common problem with the frp if they dont get cleaned etc properly as the pads stay touching the disk where the piston stays forward. i was getting it all the time until eldoodarino on this site serviced my calipers for me.

the heat shields do come loose sometimes but they just need a new clip that pushes on, you can get them from ford - dont remove it ;-)

show us some pics of your new frp, what number is it ja_cool.gif ja_cool.gif

This post has been edited by Big Boy Al: 04 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#4 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

yep, defo sounds like typical FRP brake hum.....

i wonder if the previous owner got rid because he couldn't cure it.... or just thought of the ££££ signs when hearing the noise...

i would't worry too much about it..... your more likely to get it straight after a brake service.... as the pads arn't settled in yet....

i really struggled to get rid of it a couple of years ago untill replaced my lipped discs..... no amount of caliper servicing would totally get rid if it.....

do you know what sort service hsitory the calipers have had...??

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#5 User is offline   wrenton 

• View gallery

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

This is my old car by the way.

Calipers have been regularly serviced. The discs are Red.Dot and were recently skimmed by Pumabuild. The car was sitting for a week so maybe that could cause something to seize(?).

This post has been edited by wrenton: 04 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

Puma 1.7, FRP #148, Seat Leon Cupra R, FRP #260, Focus TDCi, Focus ST170

Currently: Puma Thunder (for sale)

#6 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

Funnily enough it's not doing it today huh.gif

I know that James and it's previous owners have looked after it well so it's certainly not neglect, I'm only asking on here because there's alot I don't know about them, so thaks for the help so far wink.gif

Like I say it was fine on the way home and the other week when I had a ride in it, so it's either something that's just developed or something that's just come and gone - we'll see biggrin.gif

Number 260 by the way.
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#7 User is offline   cheshiresport 

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm we started to notice a whirring noise from the front wheels too, thought it could be the wheel bearings? Guess its time to check the brake pads out, good advice! wink.gif

When touching the brakes or slowing down, the whirring slows with it? reckon it might be bearings in my case tho mellow.gif

God dam it! written by Cheshirekat laugh.gif

This post has been edited by cheshiresport: 04 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

#8 User is offline   wrenton 

• View gallery

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

If it's a bearing it should be more obvious on bends.

#9 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (wrenton @ Mar 4 2007, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is my old car by the way.

Calipers have been regularly serviced. The discs are Red.Dot and were recently skimmed by Pumabuild. The car was sitting for a week so maybe that could cause something to seize(?).

cool... on a side note... how did you find the red dot's in comparison to the Alcon discs.... presuming you have driven the car with the Alcons working well at some point... wink.gif

did pb change the pistons or seals at any time?

smile.gif
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#10 User is offline   wrenton 

• View gallery

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (eldoodarino @ Mar 4 2007, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool... on a side note... how did you find the red dot's in comparison to the Alcon discs.... presuming you have driven the car with the Alcons working well at some point... wink.gif

did pb change the pistons or seals at any time?

smile.gif

I had red dot on both my FRP and was impressed. They stop very well but the one niggle is that they make a bit of noise until warm and you get a fair bit of feedback.

One bearing was changed in April 06 along with the ABS sensor apart from that, the previous owner cleaned the calipers thoroughly every month.

#11 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:03 AM

I don't think it's a bearing, doesn't sound like one as the noise tends to get worse the faster you go (in my experiance), this was coming and going at various speeds and at various volumes, the only thing that you could do to get rid of it was brake lightly - We'll see what tomorrow brings I guess, but I did a fair bit of driving around today and it's been fine.

As for the brakes in general they're quite different to any car I've ever driven before, you do feel alot through the pedal but they certainly do the business. biggrin.gif
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#12 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

The noise is back, but no where near as loud as it was before, so hopefully it'll go away.

If it doesn't am I right in thinking this is what I am likely need?

Pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43_47_179&products_id=677" target="_blank">Pad retaining clip - click me!
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#13 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

If only it were that simple... cool.gif

I'll show my bare arse on the M1 if that fixes it.... roflmao.gif

seriously tho... you need a caliper inspection... the obvious things are

state of caliper pistons, seals, pad rails etc...
Lipping on the discs...

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Chris
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#14 User is offline   wrenton 

• View gallery

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:47 PM

No lipping on the discs and the pistons should be pretty good.

#15 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

Rather than keep asking questions I'll get it checked, I'm putting money to one side each month to cover any bills so it's no problem really, It's just nice to have some ideas.

Thanks all wink.gif

This post has been edited by Edgey: 05 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

2002 Honda Accord Type R

#16 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (Edgey @ Mar 5 2007, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The noise is back, but no where near as loud as it was before, so hopefully it'll go away.

If it doesn't am I right in thinking this is what I am likely need?

Pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43_47_179&products_id=677" target="_blank">Pad retaining clip - click me!

This clip stops the pads shooting out the front of the caliper - it's unlikely this is causing the symptoms you described

The OTHER, more important clips sit INSIDE the caliper and are each screwed in with a torx screw - they stop the pads dropping

You can see them either side of this picture next to the pistons (in blue - but they are metal underneath)

The problem with these clips is that when the metal touches the caliper - the caliper reacts and starts to break down - once that happens the clips bend and the pads drop and rub against the disc

At this point the calipers are trashed - even if you got new clips they would bend almost straight away - I know because I've tried it

Buy a set of set of second hand FRP calipers if this is the problem (that is what I had to do)

These clips can also be damaged if a somebody hammers the pads in place and they bend at the end (also happened to me)

AFAIK you cannot got these clips seperately from Alcon

This post has been edited by PG12: 05 March 2007 - 10:58 PM

RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

you can solve that, my near side calliper had done this, that build up can be removed. Mine was done over 2 years ago now and still fine. It is an oxidation of the plate backing rather than the calliper breaking down. It is a tricky job as you have to split the callipers, but certainly do not need to replace them ja_stupid.gif I could be mixing this up with some other part/area though
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#18 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Mar 5 2007, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can solve that, my near side calliper had done this, that build up can be removed. Mine was done over 2 years ago now and still fine. It is a tricky job as you have to split the callipers, but certainly do not need to replace them ja_stupid.gif

It's not build up - it's corrosion...

#19 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

you dont need to split the calipers hk.

me ad chris managed to get mine out without splitting them.

just need a smallner and tox bit. wink.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:01 PM

my mechanic did it for me wink.gif
There is a guide to sorting this oxidation out on the RPOC site.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic