Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Donating parts to another Zetec-SE ?

#1 User is offline   ZetecSi 

• Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:48 PM

Hi folks,

I've actually got a Focus, so hope nobody minds me being here - just want to ask a tech question smile.gif

My car has the 1.6 Zetec-SE engine. I'd like to know if I can improve the performance by using the intake manifold, throttle body and air duct from a 1.7 Puma.

Would they be a straight swap ? And is there likely to be some benefit ?

All advice appreciated !

Thanks,

Si

#2 User is offline   daglesj 

Posted 29 June 2003 - 06:01 PM

If my experience of the 1.6 Focus is right (I have had many as hire cars) I would upgrade the gear ratios first. Great engine/car spoiled by crap gearing. You pray hard when pulling away at roundabouts in a 1.6 Focus.

I reckon that would help far more. Then fit a Unichip (£500) it will give you a more drivable car for less hassle.

#3 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 June 2003 - 08:10 AM

Hi folks,

I've actually got a Focus, so hope nobody minds me being here - just want to ask a tech question smile.gif

My car has the 1.6 Zetec-SE engine. I'd like to know if I can improve the performance by using the intake manifold, throttle body and air duct from a 1.7 Puma.

Would they be a straight swap ? And is there likely to be some benefit ?

All advice appreciated !

Thanks,

Si

No idea, but it would be worth while trying - you will have to get bits from a breakers, including new gaskets for both your original setup and the new setup in case it doesn't work.

Assuming you can bolt it all on you will need to get your ecu remapped to take advantage of the increased air flow. If you don't do this then I suspect your fuelling will be all over the place - possibly leading to running rich / lean conditions, bad idle, missing, cutting out etc.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#4 User is offline   ZetecSi 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 11:03 AM

Folks - thanks for your responses - I really appreciate you taking the time to lend your thoughts on this smile.gif

I'll be the first to agree that the Focus 1.6 is not a great performer, but I do (lightheartedly) disagree with the comment about pulling away from roundabouts. My 1.6 is currently modified to about 120bhp, so I don't have to pray *that* hard wink.gif Even in standard form, I never felt like there was a problem - but maybe that's just me !

Have already determined the FINIS codes for both gaskets, just in case.

Pumaspeed have quoted me £150 for the 1.7 engine parts.

I'm already running wih a power boost valve, so I'm hoping that will allow me to alter the fuelling to some extent, without resorting to an ECU remap.

Thanks again,

Si

#5 User is offline   Deano 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 11:44 AM

In my humble opinion, i would try the manifold, but try to get it cleaned out, also try the 1.7 ECU as standard, and get the keys re-chipped, running it as a 1.7 should allow for that bit of extra fuel,

Lastly i would swap the cams, that will give you a little extra kick, Piper do a few profiles for the 1.6.

:wink:

#6 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 30 June 2003 - 12:28 PM

Folks - thanks for your responses - I really appreciate you taking the time to lend your thoughts on this smile.gif

I'll be the first to agree that the Focus 1.6 is not a great performer, but I do (lightheartedly) disagree with the comment about pulling away from roundabouts. My 1.6 is currently modified to about 120bhp, so I don't have to pray *that* hard wink.gif Even in standard form, I never felt like there was a problem - but maybe that's just me !

Have already determined the FINIS codes for both gaskets, just in case.

Pumaspeed have quoted me £150 for the 1.7 engine parts.

I'm already running wih a power boost valve, so I'm hoping that will allow me to alter the fuelling to some extent, without resorting to an ECU remap.

Thanks again,

Si

The Power Boost Valve will not increase the quantity of petrol being injected into the engine to burn the additional air going in... the PBV works by mechanically altering the rate at which more fuel is added as the load (quantity of air) is increased. Its all explained on their website.

The only way to get more petrol to burn the additional air is to get the injectors to open for longer or increase the fuel pressure (which is can be a bodge as it only takes full throttle (load) conditions into consideration and not idle. low throttle / load ... hence it will run rich unless on full throttle )

If you take a look at both gaskets you will see if the mounting studs etc are correctly aligned... its cheaper to buy the gaskets and check rather than buy the stuff, take it all off only to find it wont fit smile.gif

HTH

#7 User is offline   ZetecSi 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 01:17 PM

Turby - thanks again, I understand what you're saying here smile.gif

Deano - thanks for your suggestions. I might be wrong, but doesn't the Puma have some smart variable valve control built into it's ECU ? Is this likely to work with the less-advanced Focus engine ?

Does anyone know what the standard throttle body diameter is on the 1.7 Puma ?

Have just got hold of nice shiny Puma gearknob for my car - better get back to Ford and order those gaskets ! laugh.gif

All the best,

Si

#8 User is offline   daglesj 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 01:35 PM

Si

Oh dont worry about it, maybe its just me too! :wink: They do cruise nicely on the motorways too.
What mods have you done so far to get it to 120bhp, thats quite a good hike already for the 1.6 isnt it?

#9 User is offline   ZetecSi 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 01:40 PM

Standard power on the 1.6 is approx 100bhp, depending on who you talk to... (1.8 is 115bhp, 2.0 is 130bhp)

So far, I've got the PBV, PiperX PX700 Vector filter cone, Magnecor leads, backbox- the usual set of early mods. Full stainless system going on soon, as Piper Exhausts are using my car to develop it smile.gif

Cheers,

Si

#10 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:04 PM

Deano - thanks for your suggestions. I might be wrong, but doesn't the Puma have some smart variable valve control built into it's ECU ? Is this likely to work with the less-advanced Focus engine ?

The VCT control is built into the ECU. It wont work with the Focus engine unless you use 1 Puma 1.7 head as the mechanically gubbins are built into that smile.gif

#11 User is offline   Deano 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 05:04 PM

Ooooops aren't i the D**k head! :shock:

Well if you follow the thoughts why not swap the head and ECU????

The capacity difference is tiny and if you fitted say a K&N it would probably balance out? :roll:

#12 User is offline   daglesj 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:42 PM

Then again, after all that trouble why not put a 2 litre Zetec in and go from there. Cheaper and easier to find than the 1.7 engine and very tunable. Not as sweet initially as the 1.7SE but in the long run.......

Just a thought smile.gif

#13 User is offline   Deano 

Posted 30 June 2003 - 09:47 PM

Nice idea, i like the thought but its a bit trickier and anyone with half a clue can change a head,

Plus what do you have to tell the insurance its still a 1600cc twin cam? :eyes:

By the way should that be called 'eyes' or constipated? just a thought

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic