Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brake Question

#1 User is offline   rsindigo 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hi,
My brother has driven my Racing Puma (No.234) a few times this year and he commented to me, that he didn't think the brakes were that good on my FRP. (new Front discs & pads were fitted in January 2013 - my FRP has covered 9,000 miles since then)

I have just finished fitting 2 new discs, 4 pads & 4 new slider pins to the rear brakes on my FRP (two of the old slider pins were seized) the new slider pins are now moving freely, I have driven 200 miles over the weekend, with my new rear discs, pads & slider pins, I was expecting to notice an improvement with my brakes now that the slider pins are moving freely again - but I am not aware of any improvement with my brakes?

After driving over the weekend out of curiosity I put my hand on each of the 4 discs - I assumed all 4 would be a similar temperature ? But they are not?

The front passenger disc & rear drivers disc were hot to touch (but you could hold your hand on) however the front drivers disc and rear passenger disc were cooler to touch ?

Does this sound correct ? I assumed they should all be a similar temperature?

Roger.

This post has been edited by rsindigo: 21 October 2014 - 09:29 AM

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

The rears never in my mind get as hot as the brake bias is not equal I did not think.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   nottadam 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Sounds suspicious. Are the dual circuit brakes not split diagonally like this? Perhaps you have a problem with the master cylinder.
Probably first, and cheaper job is to replace the brake fluid and make sure it's all bled correctly.
Paul

This post has been edited by nottadam: 21 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

FRP#008, 2001 1.6 Med Steel Blue, Fiesta 1.5 TDCi Zetec S

#4 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

They should be comparable per axle but generally hotter on the front.

MC only providers two outputs and the ABS modulator splits it to each corner and I'm sure the proportions are monitored, if there was a fault there you'd probably get a light.

The diagonal corner thing may be a clue or could equally be a red herring, slider pins freeing up should indicate that all is in order but doesn't necessary remove the caliper from your investigations.

Definitely try a bleed as suggested as a first port of call. After that I'd be tempted to re-plumb the outputs on the modulator to see if that moves the fault although they're not all the same size so I'm not sure what is possible. Or whether that will give you massive ABS faults. Can't see that it will unless your bring in the ABS as the sensor inputs will all still be correct. Not sure.

#5 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

Just read the Ford guidance and I'm more inclined now to say something is afoot with the MC based on the diagonal split system.

Does rather sound like one circuit of the two which come from the MC is not functioning correctly which is causing the functioning calipers to overheat.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic