Pumapeople: Moved to The Lounge:Bird Strike - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moved to The Lounge:Bird Strike Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Now i've hit a few birds in my time, normally small things like sparrows etc, always ruins the drive for me.

This morning however I hit a seagull. WTF it was doing that low heaven only knows.

Im still shaking and it was 2 hours ago. Not because I killed it, but because I thought it had killed my car.

70mph and something the size of a chicken hitting ostensibly a bathtub makes one hell of a mess, and a noise like no other.

Managed to clean most of the blood off the front, and the windscreen, and get the feathers out of the grill etc.

Not nice, not nice at all.

Nearly as bad as that rabbit that destroyed the number plate on the Black Pearl sad.gif

#2 User is offline   deeceebee 

• Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

Had a wood pigeon fly into the side of my old Toyota on the M4. Didn't realise what a mess a wood pigeon made at 70 mph until I got home and had to scrape feathers, guts and gunge off the car. puke.gif
New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

#3 User is offline   nellyhay 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jul 17 2008, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now i've hit a few birds in my time, normally small things like sparrows etc, always ruins the drive for me.

This morning however I hit a seagull. WTF it was doing that low heaven only knows.

Im still shaking and it was 2 hours ago. Not because I killed it, but because I thought it had killed my car.

70mph and something the size of a chicken hitting ostensibly a bathtub makes one hell of a mess, and a noise like no other.

Managed to clean most of the blood off the front, and the windscreen, and get the feathers out of the grill etc.

Not nice, not nice at all.

Nearly as bad as that rabbit that destroyed the number plate on the Black Pearl sad.gif

Many many years ago I had a fairly new Volvo 440 GLT, going fairly swiftly down the M11 in the drizzle, wipers on intermittent, and a crow decided to commit hari kiri by headbutting a wiper blade! An awful noise and blood and feathers everywhere..... and it ruined the wipers! They wouldn't work on anything but the high speed setting, and even then only reealllly slowly! Luckily it was the first rain since I had bought it, so took it back to the dealer and complained that the wipers didn't appear to be working properly, got it fixed under warranty... which was nice wink.gif

#4 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

Sorry to hear about the seagull attacking your car. Was there any lasting damage like dents or marks on the bodywork?

Ann

#5 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

Fortunatly not - only the bonnet is metal on the front, so the plastic absorbed the impact beautifully.

Desk is covered in tea though as i've still got the shakes! Glad I didnt see it til impact, else i would have swerved and been hit by a lorry

#6 User is offline   sky 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

This post was moved to The Lounge by a moderator as it was deemed to be drifting off topic, or should have been started in The Lounge where chat type posts should be made. Either that, or it's simply not Puma related.
Jason Aspinall, Original site creator, since '98
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
http://www.chilled35.com
Mmm, clicky :)

#7 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

Blimey Boss, what you doin on here, and even more of a shock, what you doing moderating??? wink.gif

#8 User is offline   sky 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

Har de har
Jason Aspinall, Original site creator, since '98
http://www.chilledatthebottom.com
http://www.chilled35.com
Mmm, clicky :)

#9 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Try hitting a Pigeon @ 90mph when your driving a train, that makes you duck down a bit quick too.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#10 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

hit nothing so far except flies dry.gif

#11 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

And a stretch of Armco...

sad.gif

#12 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:09 AM

I remember a guy coming to work after having hit a crow at several million miles an hour. Thing was, he was on a motorbike at the time. He was a bit shaken too!
Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

#13 User is offline   mort666 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:14 AM

glad to hear both you and the car are relatively OK Matt.

Thankfully I don't think I have ever hit (or been hit by) any animals in all the time I've been driving/riding, although I did see a fellow biker get hit by a pidgeon on the shoulder after it had bounced off the front of a national express coach coming the other way. Ended up riding through a cloud of feathers laugh.gif
Journeyed to the green hell and survived
A good friend will help you move; A true friend will help you move the bodies

#14 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

There have been several on here that have hit deer, Ian something or other did in his FRP IIRC - made a right mess.

#15 User is offline   Dogweed 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

I once overtook a low flying barn owl - it was keeping in lane thank goodness, was quite an odd sight, looking left and being eye to beak with an owl blink.gif

#16 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

Spooky!

Had that happen a few months back. Thought I'd clipped it. So spun around went back as it was lay in the road. Started thinking 19 to the dozen "what the hell am i going to do with an injured owl at midnight".

Didnt the bloody thing just fly off!

Relief? You bet biggrin.gif

#17 User is offline   Murphy 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

I'd hit a Bird in my Dad's old Ibiza 20vt. It hit the passenger mirror the skidded across the windscreen. hat to remove feathers and a leg from the windscreen wiper.

My brother has nailed a badger in his ford Ka. It ripped the underside of his front bumper off.
We went back to spot to gather bits off his car, the badger had limped off leaving a blood trail into a nearby field. Poor thing. I gave him a proper guilt trip over that as he was eating chippy when he hit it!
Well it was fun while it lasted...

#18 User is offline   pumarv6 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

The RV was hit by a small bird a couple of weeks back at about 150mph, now we're trying to find a good tin-basher to fix the dent. sad.gif

#19 User is offline   e3silversurfer 

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jul 17 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And a stretch of Armco...

sad.gif

yea that was the most "accomplishing" hit so far tongue.gif

#20 User is offline   mikey2cv 

• View gallery

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Tiggr @ Jul 17 2008, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There have been several on here that have hit deer, Ian something or other did in his FRP IIRC - made a right mess.

I hit one in Denmark a few weeks back. Missed my flight because of it. Funny thing was the Danish bloke who pulled over to us on the side of the road. We thought he was offering help; he just wanted to know if we minded him taking the carcass 'cos he'd already loaded it into his boot!

My mate with me at the time said I could cross two things off of the "50 things to do before you die" list; kill a deer and write off a hire car!

Mike

My photos

Add Mikey2cv to your Flikr contacts and I will send you an invite to join the Pumapeople friends group.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic