Pumapeople: What Are The Medical Side Effects Of Cellulose Spraying? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Are The Medical Side Effects Of Cellulose Spraying? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   shyann 

• Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

What are the medical side effects of cellulose spraying?
The reason I ask is that at the B&Q that I work nights at [it's classed as a building site- so it's hard hat,hi-vis vest & safety boots] is in the middle of a re-vamp.
I'm Asthmatic & I had a coughing fit, chest tightness, there was this horrible paint smell which I was told was cellulose. After I took my Ventolin inhaler I still felt a bit light headed, headache & dizzy, a bit shaky, & my chest was still a little tight so I went home.
Were my symptoms due to the cellulose coupled with my asthma?

Ann

#2 User is offline   HFStuart 

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (shyann @ Aug 27 2008, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were my symptoms due to the cellulose coupled with my asthma?

Ann

I'm no expert but I do know that when I cleaned a carb with cellulose thinners in the house my wife had the worst asthm attacke she'd had in years. I'd suggest the two don't mix well.
Stuart

#3 User is offline   tom192 

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

do they spray all the time or was it just one shift?

#4 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

Last night was the only time I'm aware of. They sprayed the ex internal greenhouse ready to be set up with new decking, & shelving units before putting the new arrangement of garden fertilizers & chemicals. Apparently they did cover the doorway to the greenhouse, but the smell of it permeated through to the middle of the store where I was.
I'm feeling all right now but as I went home early it's would go down on my sickness record & will put me on amber. My dilemna is do I make up my time lost 3 hrs, have tonight off [after tonight I'm off till monday night then] or go back & work tonight although it'll still be a period of sickness as I went home early last night whether it's 1hour or a week or more.

#5 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

maybe speak to a doctor/nurse??? if it can be reasonably shown as a work caused illness then surely they cant peanalise you on the sickness qouta thingy??

If it were me id report it as a H+S incident.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   mort666 

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

I'm with Warren on this one. even if it goes on your sickness record, as it's due to something which work have done surely they can't penalise you for it.

Personally I wouldn't make the time up seen as it was something at work which made you have the time off. Are they going to be spraying again tonight or was it just last night as a one off? If they are spraying again tonight I would be very tempted to have tonight off too, especially if it's just recorded as a single absence and it wouldn't affect your amber rating. If they are doing anything like that again tonight then it will probably effect you again and it could be worse the second time round.

Sounds like the store didn't do their risk assessment properly smile.gif
Journeyed to the green hell and survived
A good friend will help you move; A true friend will help you move the bodies

#7 User is offline   shyann 

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

Well I decided not to go into work last night, I still had a bad headache & felt a bit off colour. At work they'd probally still put me on 'amber' even though it wasn't my fault I was unwell so 3 hours sick, or opposed to 9 hours sick I'd still be on 'amber'. There's quite a few people at work who must be on very bright red & nothing happens to them. I'm going to say on my 'back to work' that it was the cellulose combined with my [known] asthma resulted in me going off sick
Thanks for your advice

Ann

#8 User is offline   hotrodspike 

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

This will shake them up a bit.

First of all, have three days off,

then when you get back record the incident in the accident book, (doesn't have to be an accident to be recorded),

then tell your supervisor that you want the incident recorded and reported under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations).

As they knew about your asthma, they should have reduced the risk of you coming into contact with noxious substances, or removed you from the danger area, (the spraying job should have been risk assessed before they started work).

There should also have been extraction equipment in place for any spraying of cellulose based paint.

If they insist on giving you an amber warning, just mention Health and Safety at Work act 1974 and see if their faces turn a funny colour.

Hope you feel better soon

BOK is our co-pilot.

#9 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:12 AM

What that man said.

You have them over a barrel with this one. May be worth going to GP just to be on safe side though.

Im not asthmatic, but my lad had an attack ( one and only ) 13 years ago. Shook me up as it was totally unexpected.

#10 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

Cellulose isn't really used much now... my bet it was actually a solvent based paint.... not nice at all!....

when i did some painting a few years ago i used a couple of paper masks and it just went straight through... i felt VERY ill the next day like i'd litterally drank some imperial blue... sad.gif

then i bought a respirator mask with fluid vapour catridges and now i don't even smell the paint...works very well... altho you do get a very dry mouth after a while....

not nice if your asthmatic....

Regards

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#11 User is offline   hotrodspike 

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

What Chris said.

If the paint smelled of pear drops, it was cellulose, if it didn't, it wasn't. Stands a chance they used B&Qs own brand which is absolutely vile to breathe in, (always gives me a headache).
BOK is our co-pilot.

#12 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

what he said!
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#13 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

turn up to work wearing one of these:

Then they will get the message laugh.gif
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

You might think this is a bit OTT but have a look here it's worth lodging a claim with them too as it goes down on government records as a work related injury and if in the future you deteriorate because of this event you can be entitled to payments claimed back against your NI contributions smile.gif

The Specific bit you'll need is here under "Accident Declarations"

This post has been edited by Jessie: 28 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic