• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My (very) Green Machine project thread Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   Shilly 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

there a great set up bit gutted i sold em but hope they do you well there great brakes

#142 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Well I have been slowly bedding everything in, as we did rather a lot of work in one go. Making minor adjustments to coilover height etc.

I have really tested the new brakes now and they are SO much more confidence inspiring. I can now easily lock the R888s even on dry, grippy tarmac whereas before I couldn't with the standard 260mm set-up even with uprated pads.

On the subject of pads I am running Ferodo DS3000s which many have said are too track-specific to be used on the road as they wont work at low speed/cold. This is rubbish, maybe on a heavier car it is an issue but they work fine from stone-cold for me (maybe its because I have the early master cylinder - I believe this is preferable for feel/power...)

Now a minor issue: When I fitted the brakes I fitted all new ABS sensors, and new ABS tone rings on the front. Now I have a strange problem; every time I drive off and get the 15mph self test the ABS works fine, and continues working up until the point when you exceed 40-45mph for the first time. This triggers the warning lights and disables the ABS. Pull over, re-start the ignition, and the self test will succeed, cancelling the warning lights until you get back upto 45mph. Very strange.

It has been suggested to me that the gap between sensor and tone ring is possibly too SMALL? making the pulses too large for the sensor to read at high speed?

Can anyone shed any light?
1.7L. ST150 clutch. Shawspeed lightened flywheel. Miltek exhaust manifold & full decat system. Pipercross foam cone filter. Speedline white 17" wheels. Toyo R888s. Weitec coilovers.
Powerflex rear beam bushes. Willwood 4-pots, 280mm dics & HEL braided hoses. Kenwood headunit. OMP: rear strut brace. Oddessy Racing 40 battery.
Corbeau Clubman seats. LUKE harnesses. FRP rear seats. Carbon fibre interior. FRP splitter.
Ultimate green. ~990kg...PROJECT THREAD

#143 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

I am still having ABS frustrations!

Basically my current set up is this:

FRONT
Wilwood 4 pot calipers
280mm discs
Ferodo DS3000 pads
BRAND NEW front ABS sensors
BRAND NEW front ABS tone rigs (press fit onto hubs)

REAR
Standard rear drums
NEW shoes
NEW rear ABS sensor loom

and the symptoms are this:

it 'self-tests' fine at 15mph, and the lights stay out/ABS works, upto about 55mph when the warning lights come on and the ABS fails. Turning the key off and on, and the next self-test puts the lights out again but only until I next exceed 55mph - very frustrating!

I have tried to space the front sensors away from the tone ring with 1mm washers but this had almost disasterous effects of causing the pedal to freeze at very low speeds, and the same problem was still occurring at 50mph so its not that...

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful!!

This post has been edited by Pat_T: 03 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

1.7L. ST150 clutch. Shawspeed lightened flywheel. Miltek exhaust manifold & full decat system. Pipercross foam cone filter. Speedline white 17" wheels. Toyo R888s. Weitec coilovers.
Powerflex rear beam bushes. Willwood 4-pots, 280mm dics & HEL braided hoses. Kenwood headunit. OMP: rear strut brace. Oddessy Racing 40 battery.
Corbeau Clubman seats. LUKE harnesses. FRP rear seats. Carbon fibre interior. FRP splitter.

#144 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

Can't recall reading any posts with a similar experience to this, sounds really strange.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#145 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

I think it could be the ABS pump, but can't explain why.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#146 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:04 PM

Could fitting the rear hub spacers (I have 10mm, not the 12mm or 20mm also available) affect the rear ABS sensor's effectiveness? Although I have had them fitted a while and it never caused a problem before...

I'm going to try and get hold of an OBD reader as that should tell me which wheel is triggering the light should it not?

I will persevere!!

#147 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Most basic OBD's won't necessarily do ABS faults, I know my scangauge won't.

#148 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

you need it on a proper diagnostic machine sadly.

Id get your cone filter boxed off from the engine bay and a direct cold feed from the front grill to lower your ACT's. I made a cardboard template to do mine and even in card it knocked 20C off the ACT's even sat in traffic as you get a lot of heat soak in the engine bay. Although you wont have as much heat as mine, every little helps.
Posted Image

#149 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

View Postwarrenpenalver, on 07 April 2011 - 05:01 PM, said:

you need it on a proper diagnostic machine sadly.

Id get your cone filter boxed off from the engine bay and a direct cold feed from the front grill to lower your ACT's. I made a cardboard template to do mine and even in card it knocked 20C off the ACT's even sat in traffic as you get a lot of heat soak in the engine bay. Although you wont have as much heat as mine, every little helps.

Yeah I was wondering about this, I need some kind of panel/liner to seal off the gap to the LHS wheel arch too, currently getting small amounts of road grub in the engine bay.

Where can you buy semi-flexible carbon sheeting for constructing such things? :)

#150 User is offline   madhillbilly17 

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

i made mine out of aluminium,this is roughly what it looks like, this was the first prototype i made not quit as good as the finished product Posted Image

#151 User is offline   warrenpenalver 

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

just buy some of the carbon mudflap material to do the wheel arch liner and 0.5mm carbon sheet for the flat stuff.
http://www.carbonmod..._CMFLEXCFS.aspx
Posted Image

#152 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

Sorry for being rubbish with updates recently.

I've given up with the ABS and removed the sensors, anyone know if it's possible to turn off the lights on the dash? even removing the warning light bulbs? (can you get to these behind the instrument cluster?)

As I type this I've just finished changing replacing my LED sidelight bulbs and switching the dipped bulbs to new Halfords Extreme Brilliance ones ready for the trip to Le Mans next week! :D

Heading out on an early morning ferry on Thursday, back on Monday. Can't wait to do some long overdue mileage behind the wheel as not been using the car much recently...

#153 User is offline   FlashBastd 

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

You can't remove the bulb, you can tape over it. Or you can switch it off somehow. I know several people on zsoc have removed their ABS and resolved the warning light issue, try asking on there.

#154 User is offline   Mikey S 

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hey mate, saw the mean green machine at le mans karting nord, you were tented a few pitches up from me. Car looks great! What happened to the front bumper as i swear when you arrived it was minus the damage?

#155 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:57 AM

yeah had a great time, deffo like to go back to Le Mans next year!

Saw your FRP mate, was looking good! :)

This post has been edited by Pat_T: 25 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

#156 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

My car is for sale for £1300, no offers, no splits.

Read this thread for the spec and pictures. Tax & MOT until April 2012.

If interested, PM me for my mobile No

The car is located in Hinckley, Leics.

Thanks,
Patrick

#157 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

Had my last drive in the puma tonight. Car sold over the weekend and is being collected tomorrow.

Sad to see it go, have owned it exactly 5 years!

Thanks to everyone on pumapeople and all who have followed this thread and helped me with ideas and information.

I'll still be popping in as there are a few projects I want to see completed (Dave!) :-)

Take care,
Patrick

#158 User is offline   Pat_T 

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Just checking in to say hello, and catch up on a few other's projects.

Though you might be interested to see what replaced the puma:
https://www.facebook...=1&l=69279e8eac

My new project/tackday machine: Stuart Taylor Caterham Seven replica - Vauxhaull redtop C20XE engine :)

I still miss my puma though, the only front wheel drive car I'm considering for a replacement before next winter is a Renaultsport Megane 230 R26...?

#159 User is offline   andyhybrid 

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

HI just to let you guys know i am the new keeper of this car and it will be returning to the road/track soon will post pics soon
cheers andy

#160 User is offline   madhillbilly17 

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:15 PM

thats great news,it come close to going to puma heaven at one point :phew::

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic