Pumapeople: Cylinder Head Work - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cylinder Head Work Where?

#1 User is offline   Matty B 

• Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Right i brought a second hand cylinder head as im looking to fit a set of cams. I didnt really want to have my car off of the road while i carry out the work as the show season is just starting.

Now ive go the head im considering getting some head work done on it to. No im after names off places that will do this kind off work? Im also after a good set of cams i have been looking at newman cams, the puma racing set from pumaspeed and shawspeed ones? Im not fussed what the tick over is like and id prefer the power at the top end. Im open to options but do not really wana change my injection system, but im open to options. Any other tuning options then let me no?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Matty B: 28 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

#2 User is offline   james smith 

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

Hi Matt,

Try Mountune, They used to build the super 1600 engines for the puma. Might be able to do somthing for you.
I am breaking an FRP all parts available !

#3 User is offline   Matty B 

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

Sweet cheers mate

#4 User is offline   big g 

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

ric wood at cnc heads has done work on the puma heads
what engine is it for 16-1.7 ?
as shawspeed do a very good range of performance part for it

#5 User is offline   Matty B 

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (big g @ Mar 28 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ric wood at cnc heads has done work on the puma heads
what engine is it for 16-1.7 ?
as shawspeed do a very good range of performance part for it

Its a 1.7. Yea i have herd shawspeed are good. Im going to speak to them during the week.

#6 User is offline   JOEMACCA51 

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

jon @ shawspped is very good, but they are also very busy!

#7 User is offline   Matty B 

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

Oh ok mate, im not really in a rush as i said i have a second head so i can still drive the car.

#8 User is offline   PumaJay 

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

remember if your port and polishing you head only to do the exhaust valve ports, a smooth inlet port will be worse! port it out but make sure you rough the edges up afterwards, this gets the air moving about more when going through! might sound like bull but its the proper way to do it
THE WORLD IS MY RACETRACK
www.charnwoodcarclub.co.uk

#9 User is offline   Matty B 

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Yea i have herd this mate.

isnt this like gas flowed intakes on turbo engines?

im going to speak to shawspeed during the week. i was wondering what cams also people were using.

#10 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

yes, the shape of the port is far more important than polishing it which is detrimental...
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#11 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

ive got a port and polished 1.7 head for sale if you want it
Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#12 User is offline   Matty B 

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (volcomstone411 @ Mar 29 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive got a port and polished 1.7 head for sale if you want it

Mail me a price mate?

#13 User is offline   PumaJay 

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

piper cams, or a good pair of second hand frp ones, but if your planning future mods like throttle bodies then choose carefully as you'll be doing away with the VCT at the same time.
THE WORLD IS MY RACETRACK
www.charnwoodcarclub.co.uk

#14 User is offline   tomdeas 

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (PumaJay @ Mar 29 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
remember if your port and polishing you head only to do the exhaust valve ports, a smooth inlet port will be worse! port it out but make sure you rough the edges up afterwards, this gets the air moving about more when going through! might sound like bull but its the proper way to do it

hydrodynamic air inlet turbulance is necessary (within reason) for fuel (injection, or carb) dispersion to propagate efficient combustion

more important to action is an increase in air volume or pressures, thus increasing total mol of air in cylinder per combustion cycle, allowing higher mol of fuel to be injected whilst still maintaining stoichiometric combustion

hence... port it (make the inlet larger to let more air in), only polish it as much as necessary to make the process efficient - a balance of turbulance with minimal backpressure effects. to get the most out of it you'll need to increase the injector size, and remap to allow more fuel to be injected per cycle.

#15 User is offline   philalix 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

I thought polishing the frp inlet, the head, and the 4-2-1, and getting their diameter match would be a good thing to do ?
It doesn't as I can understand what you say...

Is this correct ?

'99 Red 1,7 Puma track aimed:FRP parts:inlet air admission,ECU map,airbox,gearbox,lsd.
Helix clutch,Polished & ported head,green filter,Piper 270 Cams,denso irridium spark plugs,red magnecor 8,5mm spark leads,AVO Coil over,powerflex,Vibra Technics everywhere,Samco engine,braided brake hoses,Milltek full exhaust Sport cat,4 disks brakes 278mm Cosworth front,Focus rear,no ABS,Dot 5.1 brake fluid, DS 2500 brake pads,Toyo R888 semi slicks, interior stripped to lighten the car,HID's,2 Red sparco Evo seats,4 points 3" harnesses.

Daily car '04 Lexus Ls 430 ultra luxury,'73 Mazda RX 2,'78 Baboulin french brand dune buggy,'05 Renault Clio RS Lhd red Trophy 40/50 from Switzerland,'81 Citroen 2 cv...

#16 User is offline   Shilly 

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

also try burton power they are good at doing head work

#17 User is offline   RG500H 

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

Do it yourself,

I hate trusting my kit to anyone but a true expert and as the price for the right kind of work doesn't justify it. I'd get a worked head, measure and copy.

The 1700 head needs a fair but of effort to get a good enhancement but without too much expertise you can remove the irregularity from the inlets and blend the exhausts so they flow properly.
Siamesing the ports and blending it neatly takes care and experience but again, helps.

I can send you some specs if I can find them as it's been about 3 years since I worked a Puma head.
With a skim and about 2 days work I saw a peak gain of about 10bhp with about 5bhp across the rest of the spread from where the motor was.
To be honest, 25% of that probably came from the overhaul of the valves and lapping in but you notice it allright.

J

#18 User is offline   3cxjay 

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

the shawspeed cam kits wont keep the vct as far as im aware, if you want the power at the top then frp ones wont be aggresive enough for you, i run a custom newman grind, 280/360 which are very good and pull hard and more importantly keep the vct. Ive always been told that the standard head will easily flow 200bhp and a little porting and polishing is good on the inlet side providing the inlet manifold has been matched to it, porting the exhaust ports would be good too. The best performance part is going to be the cams, choose wisely as the right cam will give you a good power figure and delivery.

#19 User is offline   johno600 

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

you could also try dave brooks in crewe he builds rally cars and is very good with building tuned engines tel no 01270661850
MY OTHER TOY HAS 2 WHEELS

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic