Pumapeople: Lowering Springs Only Or Complete Kit - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lowering Springs Only Or Complete Kit

#1 User is offline   Irishfella 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:25 PM

I was looking on Pumabuild and I see that you can get the G-Max springs for Å“90 and use your own dampers or go for the complete Kit for Å“215. As I have tax and Insurance to pay in August, I would prefer just to buy the springs.

Is this a good idea or not? And what problems could it cause?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Irishfella: 21 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

#2 User is offline   AndyW 

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

You can do it. Other people on here and have done it and are pretty pleased with the results I think. However, I'm in the same position as you. I want mine lowered and can't really afford it. Me, I still think it's best to go with the complete kit as:

1. Both the springs and dampers will compliment each other
2. The ride will be better - with just uprated springs, the ride can be a little harsh
3. The handling will be better - the springs will go hand in hand with the dampers and will be better suited and matched to each other
4. The dampers will last longer. The original dampers will not last as long with springs they weren't designed for.

Hope this helps. I think the above points are more or less correct. But I'm no expert. I'm sure some people will disagree with me or change my points slightly.

Me personally, I'm saving up that little bit more money and shall be getting a full kit.
Looking for a paint correction service? Drop me a PM!

#3 User is offline   StarMonkey 

• View gallery

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

I've got gmax 30mm springs on standard dampers, the ride is a bit stiffer than usual but fine. I'm pretty sure you can get the springs only cheaper - when I broke one I looked around and saw a full set for Å“76 online. I don't remember the site but I found it by googling.

#4 User is offline   StarMonkey 

• View gallery

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

Thinking about it, when I enquired about this, I was told by Tony at Pumaspeed that the gmax shocks are quite noticably stiffer than standard ones.

So if ride comfort is important then it may be better to just go for the springs.

#5 User is offline   PS-Andy 

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:38 AM

I would personally recommend Eibach springs for a little bit extra Å“Å“Å“

#6 User is offline   Irishfella 

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

Are the Springs difficult to fit? I take it you need a special clamping tool to fit them in?

Ive seena number of lowering springd for the Puma and I haven't got a clue which ones to go for

Thanks

#7 User is offline   StarMonkey 

• View gallery

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:20 AM

Having a set of spring compressors will make it much easier. without them you'll have trouble getting the strut assembly together but it isn't impossible.

The hardest part will be getting the front dampers back into the hole they came out of. You could split the bearing as the TIS suggests, but it's possible without doing that - I had to compress the spring while it was on the car so I could lift it out.

I only did it last weekend so if you get stuck then it's still fresh in my mind biggrin.gif

#8 User is offline   Count_Dragula 

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:00 AM

Im looking at getting the FRP suspension from pumaspeed when i get the money together. Its about Å“250 i think plus whatever they charge for fitting.
Sun is in the sky oh why oh why would I wanna be anywhere else?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic