Pumapeople: New Clutch Fitted.. Now Hard To Change Gear. - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Clutch Fitted.. Now Hard To Change Gear. Clutch!

#1 User is offline   plonkman 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Hi everybody.. how do?

I just had to get a new clutch and release bearing fitted.

Now, before the car went in the gear box was smooth and nice; no problems changing gear etc.

I just got the car back and there was an advisory note saying that 5th gear was hard to engage, they suspect it was an internal gearbox problem. Which is funny because there was no problem with it before.

On driving the car back home I found it hard to engage pretty much ALL the gears... 2nd and 5th being particularly bad. I'm hoping this will "ease off" but I'm probably gonna call the garage tomorrow to see what's what.

Has anyone else had any problems like this before? I know that there's a procedure for refitting the linkage after the gearbox has been out (loosen linkage, stick in forth gear and tighten or something).

Anyone have any comments about this?

Cheers,

Tony.

#2 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

Sounds like the gear linkage has not been set up correctly.
Get them to sort it out f.o.c ...

#3 User is offline   rsturbo58 

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (dancer @ Feb 6 2008, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like the gear linkage has not been set up correctly.
Get them to sort it out f.o.c ...

definately a garage fault, quite likely they do not know the procedure for readjusting gear linkage up, if not it may be that there is air in the clutch hydraulic system if they havnt bled it through properley, is the clutch pedal soft/ hard/ normal to press? also check gearbox oil level just in case. let me know if you need the procedure of adjustment to take into the garage. worse case scenario they turn out to be right and your gear synchromesh is on the way out.

#4 User is offline   plonkman 

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Cheers for the replies! smile.gif

Well..

All the gears apart from 5th have loosened off to their normal levels.

5th gear is strange.. It`s pretty hard to engage, sometimes it'll just slip in no problems, but I find the other gears are hard to engage AFTER engaging 5th.

It has got better with time though..

I dunno! laugh.gif

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:39 PM

gear linkage is not in the same alignment as to where it was before they changed the clutch.
Take it back and get them to realign it smile.gif

I know as I have experienced this with my gear selection and it took a 2nd go to get it smooth for all gears
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

I've always found 5th slightly harder to engage than the others in every puma I've driven (which is quite a few). I think it's a 'feature' of the IB5.

#7 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

but it was OK before the work and not now Dan, so it seems that perhaps the linkage alignment is not quite the same as before ja_stupid.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#8 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

Yes, I agree that if it's worse than it was before the work was done, get them to sort it FOC. I was just noting my observations.

#9 User is offline   Hurman 

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

When I changed my clutch I just set the gear linkage alignment up so it engaged all gears and was in a comfortable position to grab hold of. It's not much of a job to do so get the garage to sort it out immediately and for free. smile.gif good luck.

This post has been edited by Hurman: 09 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

#10 User is offline   plonkman 

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for the help everyone...

I'll get them to fix it.

Or..

I'll go under and fix it myself, doesn't seem like rocket science and I need to get under there anyway to tighten the exhaust flange bolts and change the HEGO laugh.gif

If you want something done right..

Thanks again.

Tony.

#11 User is offline   murrayxxx77 

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

Hi RSturbo58,

Any chance of posting the procedure for aligning the linkage ?

I've heard rave reviews about the Puma box, but when I change any gear the gearstick seems to baulk slightly before going in, instead of a single clean shift. And also, 3rd gear can be hard to find unless you relax and let the centre spring bias find it.

Had Puma about 6 weeks and clutch was changed by previous owner about 25K ago so may have been 'sticky' since then.

Going to change the gearbox oil next weekend to see if that will help, but would like to check linkage too.

Thanks

This post has been edited by murrayxxx77: 10 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic