Pumapeople: 1.7 Vct Oil Consumption And Gearbox Oil? - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1.7 Vct Oil Consumption And Gearbox Oil?

#1 User is offline   TurboJ 

• Group: Members

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

What is considered normal oil consumption for the Puma 1.7 VCT engine?

Mine has done 200k km (125k miles) and the first 10k km it took about 3 liters of Ford 5W30 oil to keep the oil level at the top line of the stick.
The first 3000 km after two oil changes I've done (10k intervals) seem not to burn any oil, but closing in on the 10k mark, consumption grows.
That's not a surprise as oil does deteriorate in use, but does 3 liters sound like a lot for a 125 k mile-engine?

The engine itself is running great, no signs of wear in how it performs. No abnormal smoke from the tail pipe or anything else..
There's good service history, but the one thing I don't know is what oil the previous owners have been using.
How harmful is it if regular full-synth oil has been used on the Nikasil engine?

Second question: is there a link online how to correctly change gearbox oil on a 1.7 Puma, and what oil alternatives there are?

This post has been edited by TurboJ: 31 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

Must not over fill the gear box after filling it should be I think it is 1cm below inspection hole.
Wiki has grade to used listed I think.
Keep an eye on the engine oil level I guess not a lot you can do if no signs of leaking.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic