Pumapeople: Nikasil And All That! - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nikasil And All That! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   GMan4 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Is the Nikasil issue such a big deal? I've picked up elsewhere that cars prone to the problem are pre March 1998 as after that engine manufacture moved to Spain - or something like that ja_stupid.gif Anyway has anyone got any idea how common it was/is and how do I know there's a Nikasil problem when I come to view a car? Alternatively if it was an issue with earlier cars surely they would be sorted or trashed by now? Should it be a major concern with an early car with high miles - I know every car has to be taken on its merits but just trying to draw on the collective Puma knowledge biggrin.gif

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

if you are really concerned look to get the 1.4 or the 1.6 wink.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   GMan4 

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Apr 15 2008, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you are really concerned look to get the 1.4 or the 1.6 wink.gif

Nah - it has to be the 1.7 really. A 1.6 is beyond my budget as I'm trying to downsize somewhat rolleyes.gif . I'm not adverse to taking risks when getting a car - if I was I wouldn't be running a Fiat Coupe 20VT at the mo' biggrin.gif . Just want to be able to make a bit of a calculated decision.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

it hasn't worried me enough, the occurences are far far less than people just killing their engines because they let it run too low of oil. Over Christmas last year there was a period where there was more than one a week it seemed. Where as I can count failures on less than two hands including the recent one on here where the liner has failed/failing.
There is an article in the Wiki
check the oil level
if there is a can in the boot... perhaps suspect either a catious owner or greedy oil consumption
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   GMan4 

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (GMan4 @ Apr 15 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah - it has to be the 1.7 really. A 1.6 is beyond my budget as I'm trying to downsize somewhat rolleyes.gif . I'm not adverse to taking risks when getting a car - if I was I wouldn't be running a Fiat Coupe 20VT at the mo' biggrin.gif . Just want to be able to make a bit of a calculated decision.

Doh - I should really do a search first of all before posting. All the questions are more or less there already rolleyes.gif

#6 User is offline   rellik666 

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

i've never been too worried. i've got a bad oil leak at the mo, and took a 60 mile journey just below minimum, and got home with a dry dipstick, not really reccomended however!!! i've got a 98 1.7
if at first you dont succeed parachuting's not your sport
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

#7 Guest_Tiggr_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Bit of background.

what is Nikasil?

BMW engines and the Nikasil issue

Jaguar and the Nikasil issue

Now for the Ford info.

PP wiki article.

The engines in question in the Puma were built in 1998, in Spain before being coated by Yamaha. 1999 onwards, the engines were manufactured in Fords new engine plant in Bridgend.

Mine failed at 63K miles, in July 2000. The car was registered in Aug 1998, straight off the production line. The engine is therefore a well travelled one. Toby's car was of a similar age, and suffered the same failure. ( only reason these were spotted was because they were at an engine tuner have some serious work done on them ).

Ford initially denied that there was an issue, but eventually caved in, replaced my engine, and admitted to at least 35 cars with this problem ( Sept 2000 ) that had been worked on.

Given that it appears to have been caused by block contamination during the coating process, I would suggest if you are still driving around in a 1998 Puma, and that its not drinking oil, or blowing blue smoke, then your engine is not going to give you trouble, as long as you keep it serviced.

In total, I know of only 4 or 5 Puma's that have had this failure, including mine and Tobys, and thats with close on 20,000 members passing through here and other versions of the club over the last 10 years.

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

thanks Matt, interesting reading cool.gif

add to that the LPG conversion Puma that pooed the liners
Pete's Puma (recent as last week) in case you missed that one
didle low numbers biggrin.gif

#9 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

More reading - LPG and Nikasil

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

sounds like coincidence then for that Puma engine, either prior petrol use or an early engine

#11 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

Lets hope the new biofuels don't affect the linings!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6294133.stm
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   GMan4 

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for everyones response. It certainly hasn't put me off getting a 1.7 especially after the good review in the current Performance Car magazine ja_cool.gif Just one wee question. After reading the wiki on the topic which test is best to perform to see if there's a potential problem - presumably the compression test is the most effective but emissions the easiest? I promise this is the last question on the subject as it's been done to death wink.gif

#13 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

Soz, meant to reply to your PM and got distracted.

The compression test is actually quit easy to do. Normally if you do a test, you will find two cylinders are down. This is due to the head gasket having blown and it normally fails between two cylinders. That will require head off work anyway to replace it.

If you get just one cylinder down, and you haven't got oil in your water, then this is the first indicator that you have something wrong with the piston rings, as you are getting blow by down into the crank case. Now, if you had a dead piston ring, you would definately know about it, as there would be a big black cloud behind the car as you were driving! ( Watched as Jessie's dad had one fail on a race meet - was quite impressive! - turned out to be a bit of swarf that took the piston out... )

Now if you just run an emmisions test, all you will find out is that there is an issue with the hydrocarbons in the exhaust. This could be caused by leaky cylinders, a faulty gas sensor, or any other multitude of problems that may well be electronic and not actually mechanical.

So yes, maybe start with an emmisions test, but dont read too much into the results until you have completed the rest.

Final test is to use an engineering endoscope to examine the cylinder linings themselves ( but this is not cheap ) Worn linings can be spotted by someone who know what they are looking for.

Hope that helps smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tiggr: 17 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

#14 User is offline   GMan4 

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

[quote name='Tiggr' date='Apr 17 2008, 08:11 AM' post='713561']
Soz, meant to reply to your PM and got distracted.

No problem mate. As I'm seeking to buy on a bit of a budget the years that I'm interested in fall into the "risk" bracket (albeit very low!) but as they are likley to have 80k or more on the clock any problems would have been apparent by now? I think the compression test is the best compromise and as you say not particulraly difficult.

smile.gif

#15 Guest_Tiggr_*

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

Given most of the cars built with the engine from the "dodgy" period will by now have run out of steam, if you find one thats running then the chances are that its ok. More likely to have conked out due to other mechanical or driver based factors by now wink.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic