Pumapeople: Leaking Gearbox Oil - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Leaking Gearbox Oil

#1 User is offline   illy 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

ive noticed my puma is leaking gearbox oil, any sugestions on where it could be leaking from ie gasket or seal as i have no idea about gearboxes

#2 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

Have you recently had your clutch changed?

Best bet is to steam clean the underneath of the engine and gearbox and (if you are not runnning an empty gearbox) take the car for a run.

When you get back, it should show exactly where the oil is leaking from- then you can work out what is wrong...

#3 User is offline   SteveH 

Posted 02 April 2007 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (frp338 @ Apr 2 2007, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you recently had your clutch changed?

Best bet is to steam clean the underneath of the engine and gearbox and (if you are not runnning an empty gearbox) take the car for a run.

When you get back, it should show exactly where the oil is leaking from- then you can work out what is wrong...

Get it hot, then if possilble get it on a ramp then clean off the oil and work out where its coming from.
Depending on what work you've had done recently I.E. clutch, it will be in the bellhousing, or I.E. replacement halfshaft it may be a diff seal or just check something hasn't cracked the casing from the under side.

#4 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Is that an echo or is there a parrot on my shoulder? stickpoke.gif

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

check that the gearbox breather cap is on the right way round, if not it will leak.
There is a picture of this in the Technical Gallery.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic