Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Groan!...jammed 6006e Cd Player

#1 User is offline   RobM 

• Group: Members

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

Hi all

We've got a Puma Thunder fitted with a Ford 6006e in-dash 6 CD changer unit. Three CDs have got jammed in the unit - when you press Eject there's various grinding and whirring noises but the CDs don't come out. (I think they're actually CD-Rs that are in there). Does anyone know a good way of getting jammed CDs out of this machine?

I wondered if was worthwhile removing the unit from the dash - does this give you access to the loading trays or is the whole thing a sealed unit that needs a sledgehammer to get into it. Can anyone give me any advice on this?

Cheers
Rob M

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:19 AM

welcome biggrin.gif
I tried a search lots found, one might be of use smile.gif
http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?act=Se...highlite=jammed
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

I have EXACTLY the same problem, only mine won't play either. I started another thread about this a couple of days ago.

If you take the unit out and take it to Ford, they will charge you around Å“80-85 just to look at it and then it will be more if work has to be done. They advised me to look around at replacing it, and this is not the first time they have told me this.

I had the unit 'repaired' at almost the end of my warranty period, and when it was put back in again it did not work (still) so had to be sent back again. That was last August, and the repair has lasted about 8 months. The repair came with no warranty as I did not pay for it.

One thing that Ford are insistent about is that recordable CDs should not be used - only the originals. They are adamant about this and will not honour the warranty if you have used recordables in it.

Looks like we are in the same boat... sad.gif

Think I shall be looking for a different unit to put in.

Someone stole my Thunder...

#4 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

I've had problems with CD-Rs in the 6-disc changer in the Focus, although they have not got jammed inside - yet! It's just very choosy which tracks it will play in a particular tray ... remove the CD and place it in a different tray and it will often be fine ja_stupid.gif
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#5 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Midnight Blue @ May 10 2006, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had problems with CD-Rs in the 6-disc changer in the Focus, although they have not got jammed inside - yet! It's just very choosy which tracks it will play in a particular tray ... remove the CD and place it in a different tray and it will often be fine ja_stupid.gif

great advice...

... if you can get them out!

If not, repeat after me:

Our Father, who art in heaven....

#6 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (BenF @ May 11 2006, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great advice...

... if you can get them out!

It was not advice, it was a statement bleh.gif
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#7 User is offline   vaspetrol 

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:31 PM

I've had the same problem too in my Fiesta, had an auto electric place look at it, and they said to get a new one. At moment Ford say it's on back order, so I'll just have to wait. it seems like a trouble unit ranting2.gif
Vas
FRP #385 / FORD FIESTA ZETEC-S
Looked after by GK!!-In GK Ford I trust
BRAKES LOOKED AFTER BY DR.ALCON @ ELDUDE-BUILD!

PERFORMANCE FORD SHOW 2006-BEST PUMA WINNER
FORD FAIR CONCOURS CLASS WINNER 2006
WONDERLAND SPORTSCAR SHOW 2007-CONCOURS 2ND PLACE
BEST PARADE LAP FRP WINNER-CASTLE COMBE 2007
PUMAPEOPLE CALENDAR CAR 2009

Racing Puma Owners Club Membership Administrator

#8 User is offline   gutted 

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

Had exactly same problem with mine. In fact, the 6006E was a bit dodgy from the start (when I bought the car, brand new). Ford eventually repaired it under warranty, but soon after that the CDs got jammed. I was on a long journey and so had a while to consider my options before getting home.

It might sound a bit harsh, but I ended up giving the dash a bit of a thump. And *presto* - the CD was released wink.gif It's happened once or twice since, and each time, I've thumped the dash to dislodge the CD. There's a "sweet spot" on the dash, between the glocebox and the CD player, that you can thump (to good affect) if it happens. A sharp blow in the right place is the answer excl.gif excl.gif

I honestly does sound harsh - but I'm not talking about taking a hammer to it or anything. If stll under warranty, then Frod should fix it. This rubbish they keep spouting about "non original CDs" is surely a load of old moony.gif . It won't make a blind bit of difference to the CD head unit as far as I can tell.

FWIW, when the CDs get jammed in the player, I think it's because the trays are fractionally out of alignment - I think the unit is trying to spit CDs out in slightly the wrong place. A bit of a thump jogs the thing enough to line it up with the hole. Seriously. It's worked 2 or 3 times for me, now.

Worth a try wink.gif
1.7 Moondust Silver.

My other car is an MG Metro Turbo. Keeping it real.

#9 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (gutted @ May 23 2006, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had exactly same problem with mine. In fact, the 6006E was a bit dodgy from the start (when I bought the car, brand new). Ford eventually repaired it under warranty, but soon after that the CDs got jammed. I was on a long journey and so had a while to consider my options before getting home.

It might sound a bit harsh, but I ended up giving the dash a bit of a thump. And *presto* - the CD was released wink.gif It's happened once or twice since, and each time, I've thumped the dash to dislodge the CD. There's a "sweet spot" on the dash, between the glocebox and the CD player, that you can thump (to good affect) if it happens. A sharp blow in the right place is the answer excl.gif excl.gif

I honestly does sound harsh - but I'm not talking about taking a hammer to it or anything. If stll under warranty, then Frod should fix it. This rubbish they keep spouting about "non original CDs" is surely a load of old moony.gif . It won't make a blind bit of difference to the CD head unit as far as I can tell.

FWIW, when the CDs get jammed in the player, I think it's because the trays are fractionally out of alignment - I think the unit is trying to spit CDs out in slightly the wrong place. A bit of a thump jogs the thing enough to line it up with the hole. Seriously. It's worked 2 or 3 times for me, now.

Worth a try wink.gif

might be sound advice - after mine last stopped working I listened to the radio for a week whil I considered my options. I had a bit of a bumpy ride around a roundabout and when I tried to play a CD a few minutes later it worked. Maybe a shock is what it takes?!

#10 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

Ive got the 6006e in my Thunder and although it hasnt had a disk jam yet it does skip like mad sometimes!!...can be VERY annoying...but just by changing trays and back again the thing works fine??? very bizarre!!! ja_stupid.gif

This post has been edited by spenspuma: 24 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#11 User is offline   Stacey 

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (spenspuma @ May 23 2006, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive got the 6006e in my Thunder and although it hasnt had a disk jam yet it does skip like mad sometimes!!...can be VERY annoying...but just by changing trays and back again the think works fine??? very bizarr!!! ja_stupid.gif

yeah mines does this, or comes up CD ERROR but i jst turn it off then back on again and ta - da!!

#12 User is offline   Katt's Puma 

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

I have this unit on my Milly and its not one of fords most reliable....

Try pressing and holding Eject and Load buttons at the same time for a few seconds, this resets the CD trays inside the unit....
This is my cat, a purring Puma...

#13 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (Stacey @ May 23 2006, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah mines does this, or comes up CD ERROR but i jst turn it off then back on again and ta - da!!

Yeah..mine sometimes comes up CD ERROR after taking 1 minute to decide it wont play the disk!!!!...ive often thought about putting my foot thru the system!!!
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#14 User is offline   Redian36 

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

surely there is areset button on the back of the unit?!?!

#15 User is offline   Sue 

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

I always use CDRs in the car, and had a similar problem on my last puma when I went over a pothole at the same time as the cd was changing discs over, and the whole lot jammed up.

I resorted to thumping it and swearing ranting2.gif at it and then sat for a few minutes pressing the buttons to change the discs over and all of a sudden it changed a disc and it worked fine after that.
so it did appear to be an alignment problem in my case.
Sue
ZoomZoom

http://www.justgiving.com/bokbok - "Just Giving Site" for the BHWT in Colin's Memory

#16 User is offline   dazza4 

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (gutted @ May 23 2006, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worth a try wink.gif

they said the same thing to me about cd-rs apprantly its because their marginly thinner then original cds but i still cant see how that affects it i had this problem so many times but the first time it happened. i took it out n took da top panel of the headunit off so i could see inside and u can watch how the mechanism works and it can get jammed easilythere really fragile thin trays that hold the cds and my 1 was totally jammed i had to wriggle the cds out by hand and carefully get the trays back in alignment it happens when it only cathes 1 side of the tray and pulls it up and the other bit is at the bottom still so its all twisted it happend to me so much i jst left the top panel off permanently n kept the pins for pullin the stereo out it the little holder behind ther gearknob so if it jammed i had to pull it out n sort it that way. but thats a bit of a technical way of doin it and most people wouldnt have the patience for that them steroes are a pain in the arse and i think dats kinda proved fords theory wrong about the cd-rs it was jst a design fault dat could randomly happen. dats just a get-out cluase for them to avoid fixing under warranty.

#17 User is offline   BOK 

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:08 PM

I've literally smashed a 6006E to pieces with a hammer and chisel to get my jammed CDs out in the past comp.gif I got a new replacement unit via insurance so the old one was dealt with quickly.

Although it's a neat idea, it does not like being subjected to shock. The system inside is pretty fragile with a number of rather flexible plastic holders that move up and down, the discs can jump out quite easily and jam the mechanism.

Once jammed it's hardly worth bothering with really if you have something like iTunes and a CD burner, just change the head unit for an MP3 compatible- you get more tracks on it anyway. Technology has moved on.

#18 User is offline   Xrion 

• View gallery

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

again had this issue go get watch making tools (used my dads) and simply remove two exterior screws on rear top, then peel off the metal plate, remove the 2nd very small screws holding the CD holder thing (very technical i know) and you can get yours CDs out no problem.

WARNING : if you have to do this you might aswell call it a day on your CD player go buy a new one biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Xrion: 03 July 2006 - 09:51 PM

<div align="center">X.R.I.O.N</div>

#19 User is offline   bavpav 

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (BenF @ May 10 2006, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have EXACTLY the same problem, only mine won't play either. I started another thread about this a couple of days ago.

If you take the unit out and take it to Ford, they will charge you around Å“80-85 just to look at it and then it will be more if work has to be done. They advised me to look around at replacing it, and this is not the first time they have told me this.

I had the unit 'repaired' at almost the end of my warranty period, and when it was put back in again it did not work (still) so had to be sent back again. That was last August, and the repair has lasted about 8 months. The repair came with no warranty as I did not pay for it.

One thing that Ford are insistent about is that recordable CDs should not be used - only the originals. They are adamant about this and will not honour the warranty if you have used recordables in it.

Looks like we are in the same boat... sad.gif

Think I shall be looking for a different unit to put in.

To be honest mate tehmanual says some copied cd's may not work. it does not specify which types so i got Ford to get mine done. mind you i was in Bristol
So cool even my 4 year old nephew poses in it!

P.S. There's nothing standard about the Puma!

#20 User is offline   BenF 

• View gallery

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (bavpav @ Jul 10 2006, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest mate tehmanual says some copied cd's may not work. it does not specify which types so i got Ford to get mine done. mind you i was in Bristol

I have never used anything but original cds, but the number of threads about this problem leads me to believe that the unit is not as stable as it ought to be!

Since posting the quote you have included, mine has started working again!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic