Pumapeople: Handbrake problems - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handbrake problems

#1 User is offline   johne 

• Group: Members

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:39 PM

As well as my stalling problems I'm also having trouble with the handbrake - it's non-existent!

The car was serviced by Pumaspeed in September and Tony tightened the handbrake cable. A week later I was parked on a downwards-sloping drive and when I reversed off the handbrake appeared to be stuck on. The car limped home and on getting out there was a distinct burning smell and the handbrake was reduced to a cosmetic accessory only.

This week I finally got round to tightening the cable back up, this resulted in the handbrake being harder to pull on but made no difference to it's lack of willingness to stop the car from moving, I can now drive around perfectly normally with the handbrake fully on which is vaguely amusing for scaring passengers but not so good for parking on hills or indeed any kind of gradient.

I've spoken briefly to a mechanic who has suggested that the calipers may be seized and this is why tightening the cable is having no effect (if so, preliminary investigations re: price for new calipers, handbrake cable etc comes to £250). Part of me is praying that its just going to be the cable but the way my luck's going at the moment I just know it's gonna cost....
Ex-Ford Racing Puma 159/500
Ex-Puma Black
Ex-Fiesta Zetec-S

#2 User is offline   matty 

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:24 PM

sounds like it needs to be looked at.

do the breaks work properly when driving?

maybe the handbreak cable is not connected properly / or streched?

i drive a fiesta, but i have noticed that the handbrake somtimes needs a bit of persuasion when taking the handbreak off, it somtimes seems to slip out of place and u have to jiggle it a bit to get the break off.
Mk5 1.7 pumaspeed fiesta with gas

My car

tarmac terrorism

#3 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:20 PM

sounds like the problem Darren and Laura had on their FRP recently, the handbrake was sticking 'on' causing the smell and it failed the MOT, new cable and it was fixed I think. The handbrake set up on the FRP is not the same as the standard Puma. Have a search this was only posted about a month ago smile.gif
Hope that helps smile.gif
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#4 User is offline   johne 

Posted 06 December 2004 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, will try changing the cable and see if that works biggrin.gif
Ex-Ford Racing Puma 159/500
Ex-Puma Black
Ex-Fiesta Zetec-S

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic