Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engine Rebuild help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mrjosh09 

• Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

hi all
This may sound silly but im planning on doing an engine rebuild on my puma and i wondered if anyone has ever done this themselves and can give me a guide or some help. I have no experience what so ever but i want to learn the ins and outs of it smile.gif

any advice will be helpful and i will be grateful. biggrin.gif
TFS FTW!!!

#2 User is offline   luke 

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:02 AM

get some one in the know to sort ur valve timing out.

#3 User is offline   jimmyboy 

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (luke @ Jul 27 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get some one in the know to sort ur valve timing out.

valve timing is easy mate . . . rocker cover off and at the rear of the cams are two grooves one on each cam . . . get a length of flat bar six mm thick cut out a bit to go around the vct unit slip it in to the two slots when the engine is at top dead centre and pay attension to the inlet cam possision use tipex or some thing and mark this cam as it is the most important one because it dose the cam timeing if you mess up and the cams are locked just turn the vener pully all the way to the left . . . always fit a full kit and due to the water pump being an idler its worth changing this as well . . . to get the bottom pully off use a two or three legged puller and just take the centre bolt out as this method allows the crank belt drive cog to be self extracted . . . once you are sure that everything is lined up only . . un bolt the tensioner and remove belt etc remove crank pully as described water pump if you are going down that road . . . fit pump then offer the new belt around the crank drive cog and hold it at 12oclock possision and line it up to the woodruff key and slide on to crank . . . pull the belt up over the inlet cam first then the exhaust cam . . . fit the NEW tensioner put the belt around this . . . if all the timming marks are still in line twist and pull out the tensioner lock off pin and the automatic adjustment will be taken up . . . tighten up crank pully bolt , remove cam locks and turn engine over BY HAND ONLY using a spanner on the crank bolt only . . . now if you have done this right you would not have meshed the valves and the slack of the belt would be right so tighten up the tensioner bolt fit the serpintine belt and start car biggrin.gif i can do a belt on the kat 1 hour and 50 min . . . ive done a few to date cool.gif go on have a go if you get stuck send me an email and i will help you biggrin.gif

#4 User is offline   luke 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (mrjosh09 @ Jul 27 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no experience what so ever but i want to learn the ins and outs of it smile.gif

by all means try but dont forget how many pumas have been knackered by the valve timing set up wrong... its aint cheap to put right either.

#5 User is offline   poder 

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

Pretty much, but if I may add a few comments:

QUOTE (jimmyboy @ Jul 27 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..to get the bottom pully off use a two or three legged puller...

With the engine in the car there is not room for a typical puller. For this reason there are two holes in the pulley for attaching a slimmer one. This can be made, e.g from a piece of flat steel.

QUOTE (jimmyboy @ Jul 27 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..at 12oclock possision and line it up to the woodruff key and slide on to crank...

The crank shaft on the 1,7 does not use a woodruff key so the cambelt pulley can rotate freely when the bolt is loosened.
This leaves the opportunity for unintentionally rotating the crank if the special locking pin is not used.

Cheers

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic