Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

£4.99 ebay engine mods

#1 User is offline   spencerm 

• Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:49 PM

I thought as much, thanks!

So not only did I ask a stupid question... but it was one that had already been answered.... and I did check first but obviously didn't see it!!

I better go and lie on the floor before I fall off my chair and start dribbling!

#2 User is offline   Paul Palmer 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:22 PM

Here it is the full info on the mod that people keep buying I got the details off Ebay so for anyone who is sad enough to try it can do so and not get ripped off!
**PERFORMANCE +20BHP TO YOUR ENGINE FOR FREE. This is no joke All the adverts on ebay that state they sell performance chip that boost your cars performane are actully a 4.7k resistor that can be bought in any electrical component shop. This is causing uproar and Im getting alot of stick for publishing this info coz they want you to pay them £5 for a 10p resistor. Not bad for a days work.
Why I'm I giving this info for free? Because I think it is a total rip off so I want to expose it and show you how to boost your cars proformance for the cost of a resistor.

But beware as it dosn't work on all cars

This has caused major uproar with ebayers who are cashing in on the resistor for a fiver. They say your paying for the info

but here is is for free

IAT Timing Sensor Modification

Approximate 5-15 minutes installation time, Please read completely before installing. If in doubt please refer to your Haynes manual to locate you IAT sensor.

Purchase a 4.7k resistor from a electrical componant shop. and a couple of cable ties

Instructions:

1. Turn off engine and remove key from ignition, you may also want to disconnect the negative battery terminal, some ECU's may still detect changes even with the key removed and a check engine light may come on.

2. Locate Ait Intake Temperature (IAT) Sensor. The Sensor will be located in between the air intake box and the throttle body. If you cannot locate the sensor consult a mechanic, your dealer or owners manuel for assistance. Do not confuse the IAT with the 02 or mass air sensor. The IAT circuit is a 5 volt circuit if you wish to test with a voltmeter to locate it. In all case of uncertainty, we recommend either contacting your manufacture or a mechanic for assistance in locating the IAT sensor.

3. After you have located the IAT sensor, disconnect the wire harness from the IAT sensor. Gently pull the tab out and lift the plug from the sensor housing.

4. Take your 4.7k resistor and shape it into a U and place the metal receptacles on the resistor into the sensor plug. Push receptacles as far as they go. The resistor will get deformed and probably appear squashed this is OK and not a problem.

5. Make sure the IAT sensor plug and MOD is tied secure within the engine compartment with a cable tie. + protected from water.

After installation make sure everything is secure and double check your installation. You should feel the extra power almost immediately. But as with all performance accessories use at your own risk. By using this MOD you accept all responsibility.

Just to clarify what the mod actualy does it fools the ECU into thinking the air the engine is breathing in is cold and dense so it thinks the engine will need more fuel (thats where the power gains come from) so in winter you will have little gain because the air is already cold, in the summer you will gain to the point where the engine is not getting enough air for the fuel going in.

Another area of uncertanty is where they got the valye for the resistor as all "IAT (inlet air temperature) sensors" will be different as in the resistance ranges they operate to you can find these details in most Haynes manuals e.g. Renault Clio multi-point injection the sensor reads from 9.72Kohms (coldest) to 1.47Kohms (hottest).
If you do want to perform this mod do some research first and if you know someone interested in buying one show them this first

Print this off put it on a notice board some where just lets stop people buying the rip off mod!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked