• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spare Wheel Ties And Boot Floor

#1 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:10 AM

another question for your help please smile.gif

I have decided I am going to fix properly to the boot floor my spare wheel for going to Germany.

I intend to use 3 strap ties (4 if I have to) and will fix the plates to the floor.
What I don't know is if the skin is single skin and I will then use bolts with a nylock washer the other side or if the floor is double skin and I will have to use say self tapping fixings.

One for V4 FRP, Dave I do not recall that I could see any protusions under your boot floor but not sure if this is just because you painted over the top of them or if your fixings are rivited please?

Any help/ideas greatfully received please this is the project for tonight.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#2 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:07 AM

im sure the boot floor is single skin but underneath their are a few box sections, id suggest drilling holes from underneath to make sure you miss the box sections.....

iv modified a wheel carrier to hold 2 ammo boxes for tools etc, cant you do the same for larger frp wheel, can get a wheel tray & bolt off any old fiesta at a scrapyard & its a 2 min job to put on & take off & requires no drilling to your lovely frp.....

#3 User is offline   V4FRP 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:18 AM

Kate just popped down to have a look at FRUP's fixings. He has two, one either side of the boot. Theyare rivetted in using 4 rivets on each fixing. You can't see the underside of the rivets as they are positioned above where the two longitudinal bearers under the floor skin run. In my opinion having looked at the floor skin in the boot I reckon that it's single skinned. If you would like any photos of FRUP's set up I can post some up over lunch time early afternoon.

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

that suggests Dave that the rivits go into the top of the bearer maybe and don;t rely only on the boot floor for fixing through, do you think?
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

Could do Kate but if you look at the bearer section is it not in a U shape with the tops turned outwards and welded to the floor skin possibly leaving the floor skin single skinned

#6 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

yes I will look again smile.gif

#7 Guest_jacko_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:37 PM

boot floor is single skin - look where the spare wheel holder nut goes through!!!!!!

(i know theres no spare wheel but u get the idea!)

This post has been edited by jacko: 22 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:40 PM

yes that was the area, I felt it might be double skin to either side of that.
Still seriously considering one boot floor fixing, just looking for the right fixing to use, rather I know what I want just trying to find it.

#9 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Have you thought of a single threaded rod setup with a big plastic screw to hold down the wheel similar to the setup in the current vauxhall vectra. Must say mind Kate that the two retainer system in FRUP is very efficient as it really holds down the wheel on one hand and on the other when you remove the wheel to use the boot the clips are very unobstrusive.

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:08 PM

exactly biggrin.gif
that is why I do not want to go down the post route

I tried a search but othing came up, is there a pick in the gallery re where the clips are on your boot Dave please?

#11 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Kate I'll take out the wheel and boot carpet in the morning and photograph the clips and boot floor for you. Will post up late morning. (when recovered from hangover)

#12 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:44 PM

cheers Dave biggrin.gif

#13 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:29 PM

Kate apologies for the delay. Excellent hangover following very good night out. I hope the photos below will help:

#14 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

they are super Dave thanks ja_cool.gif
I will move them to the costmetic gallery is that is OK? (the temp folder gets pruned every now and then)

#15 User is offline   V4FRP 

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

Fine by me Kate. I hope they are of help to you.

#16 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

Copied from another thread, but is relevent:

You could have a 15" spare in a cage and if you do get a flat on the front you could stick the spare on the rear and the rear on the front. The rolling diameter's are probably similar, and it would at least get you out of trouble.

I've been tempted to do this just for long journeys.

Adam #260
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:40 PM

you not tried jacking the rear then with the suplied jack wink.gif

#18 User is offline   AdamFRP 

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Nope - do I take it it doesn't work then? laugh.gif
2002 Honda Accord Type R

#19 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

you are great risk of the FRP falling off the jack and getting a guage in the side!

#20 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

although I a great fan of google I am failing to find online a fixing like the above in Dave's boot.

any help greatly recevied as I don't know what that type of fixing is called to even search for it. I have tried all the tools-up.com places already, most of those are either not right or are zinc plated. I ideally would like stainless so it wont rust etc.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic