Pumapeople: Halfords Bulbs - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Halfords Bulbs

#1 User is offline   Balders118 

• Group: Members

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Not sure which section to put this in, or if's been mentioned before but when I changed the bulbs today, halfords say the 9006 will fit the dipped beam, and 9005 for the main instore. On the web (for extreme brilliance) they say you want 711. Truth is they're both 9005 bulbs, on my puma anyway. Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone, wasted an hour or so going back and forth today.

Chris

#2 User is offline   Spike 

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

yes, its a well known fact Halfords are wrong. All four headlight bulbs are the same HB3 (9005) style.

Extreme brillance are great bulbs :)

#3 User is offline   MoondustPuma 

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

are these the £24.99 bulbs ? i was going to get some.
has anyone else noticed that the standard bulbs are very dim and do not illuminate the road very well.
i wanted the ones that look very bright white/blue ? how easy is it to replace the bulbs on the puma ? any advice would be great.

cheers guys.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   SkunkMunkey3000 

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

Changing the bulbs is pretty straight forward, couple of screw/allen bolts (can't remember which) and then a couple of clips on the unit itself to get to the bulbs.

The standard Puma lights are cr@p, really you need at least 50% brighter ones if getting them from Halfrauds, or at the risk of getting moaned at by people on here, take the HID route (makes a big improvement over standard but still nowehere near as good as other cars).

#5 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostMoondustPuma, on 19 January 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

are these the £24.99 bulbs ? i was going to get some.
has anyone else noticed that the standard bulbs are very dim and do not illuminate the road very well.
i wanted the ones that look very bright white/blue ? how easy is it to replace the bulbs on the puma ? any advice would be great.

cheers guys.

I got the extreme brilliance at halfords for £24.99. They are usually by one get one free, so it works out pretty much the same price as standard bulbs, a no brainer really. They are considerably better than standard bulbs.

Look at the video in the wiki for changing bulbs. Very easy. Two bolts for the grill - slides outs. Two bolts for the light cluster - slides out. Clips off the back, unplug, twist and the bulb is out. Easy.

#6 User is offline   MoondustPuma 

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

i've never seen a BOGOF offer on them before but will look out. would you get them for dipped and main or just dipped ? just it's a pain in the arse when driving round B roads and you can't see. it's bad enough the puma sits lower and your blinded by anything oncoming anyways.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   pumaspark 

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

I bought Halford extreme brilliance bulbs end off October and a few days ago when driving a night my dipped lights just failed :( and allmost crashed the car.
I checked the fuse's as there is one for the left dipped and one for the right these were fine ,so i thought it was Light stalk so i replaced this for a mate's know one which was working.
None off this made any difference , i did not give the bulbs any thought as i have never heard off two failing at the same time ;( but
guess what, i checked to see if there was 12v going to the dipped lights and yes there was.
So i change the bulbs and hey presto let there be light
Halfreuds are shit :(

This post has been edited by pumaspark: 29 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

#8 User is offline   Pumasparky 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

I have Halfords Extreme Brilliance and I think they are good, you must have been unlucky.
PUMASPARKY

#9 User is offline   Balders118 

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostMoondustPuma, on 20 January 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

i've never seen a BOGOF offer on them before but will look out. would you get them for dipped and main or just dipped ? just it's a pain in the arse when driving round B roads and you can't see. it's bad enough the puma sits lower and your blinded by anything oncoming anyways.

You're not paying attention then ;) There is literally always a BOGOF offer on them. I've got them for dipped, but if a main goes I will replace them with Halfords EB also.

#10 User is offline   mickthetroll 

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

clicky

Click the link above for the right bulb,

They are still on offer, watch out halfords, here i come... being new to pumas, i thought there was something wrong with my eyes at night...

But will be keeping the 2 originals in the car incase i have a double bulb blow out.

This site is a mine of information, thanks Puma people

Mick

This post has been edited by mickthetroll: 06 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

#11 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

View Postmickthetroll, on 06 February 2011 - 07:54 PM, said:

But will be keeping the 2 originals in the car incase i have a double bulb blow out.

You can always 'borrow' the bulbs from the main beams in an emergency :)
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#12 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

I have been using these in the Honda, they don't seem to last long, originals lasted around 4 years, and were still working fine when I decided to upgrade. Extreme Brilliance bulbs have lasted as follows; 8m, 11m, 3m, 7m (didn't fail entirely, but went very dim). I have at least one spare, but when that fails I will just move to a known brand.

Not as great as they are cracked up to be IMO!
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#13 User is offline   mickthetroll 

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

; 8m, 11m, 3m, 7m (didn't fail entirely, but went very dim). I have at least one spare, but when that fails I will just move to a known brand.

I hope the m after the numbers denotes months not miles or minutes before the bulbs fail... i certainly wouldn't want to be in the position of venting my spleen at some poor halfords assistant for sub standard goods being supplied :rant:

Mick

#14 User is offline   FlashBastd 

• Group: Validating

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Certainly is months, but still a pretty unacceptable amount of time IMO.
2005 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
2000 Ford Focus 1.6i Ghia
2006 Renault Clio 2.0i RenaultSport 197 - SOLD
2005 Honda CR-V 2.0i Executive auto
2001 Ford Puma 1.7i Black

#15 User is offline   mickthetroll 

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:17 PM

View PostFlashBastd, on 07 February 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

Certainly is months, but still a pretty unacceptable amount of time IMO.

Well, in my book, for 25 quid, to improve night vision, if they last 3 months, doesnt seem too bad to me, guess i will have to suck it and see, ( and please do not try and suck halogen bulbs at home folks ) despite the health and safety implications,

a, it doesn't do the life of the bulb any good,

b, They taste of nothing,

But this comment is from someone who almost believed that adding a new air filter to his puma would up the bhp by 10 %... doh...

See how it goes but thanks for the warning Flash :beer:

Mick

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic