Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Battery Dead....

#1 User is offline   seamanrob 

• Group: Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

Guys,
Had a full service recently since I was expecting to travel about 300 miles in the Puma.
Car started fine, I had the radio on, the heater going and the headlights running.
Got about 90 miles into the journey and stopped for fuel.
Could not restart the car. Had to get a jump start. (there was still a little power in the interior lights etc until I tried cranking over and the whole car died).
From that point on I ran ok, until I reached the next service station. I was expecting this. The car died again.
So, by deduction I would say that I travelled up 200 miles on the alternator power alone.
Please disagree if you think im wrong here. I had my headlights on all the way, used the electric windows (with extreme care since any prolonged use scrambled the rev indicator and the lights dimmed right out), and managed to get to my destination.

The battery is ancient, and given the recent cold spells, Im inclined to believe its dead. So I have since bought a new battery and fitted (but its early days yet, only been in since this afternoon).

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? I mean, the alternator was powering the car all the way up so there should be no reason why it wouldnt charge a good battery??
Deduction says the battery is a dud....

I guess I could prove one way or the other for certain that the alternator is ok by firing her up with the battery then disconnecting it - see if she keeps on running...

Comments and opinions please!

#2 User is offline   PandK 

• Group: Validating

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Do not disconnect the battery with engine running you could well upset the alternator charging regulator.

I would have thought that you did have a duff battery, see how you get on with the new one

#3 User is offline   dancer 

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Yeah, sounds as though you need to invest in a new battery.

#4 User is offline   seamanrob 

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

cheers guys.
just needed that reassurance!!

#5 User is offline   pumapilot 

• View gallery

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

View Postseamanrob, on 02 February 2010 - 07:04 PM, said:

The battery is ancient, and given the recent cold spells, I'm inclined to believe its dead.
So I have since bought a new battery and fitted (but its early days yet, only been in since this afternoon).

If it was the original battery, then it has done well, an alternator will keep a 'charged' battery topped up, but will not charge a flat battery, like you and probably a few more car owners, i was out in the bad weather, with headlights on, heated screens on, heater blowing etc, if the alternator is running that lot, then it wont have much left for the battery, i will fully charge my battery soon, before, like you, it dies on me somewhere.
Posted Image
Signature block created by Colin Y (BOK) & here as my tribute to him
Print your own Pumapeople fliers by clicking here
PUMA GARAGE LIST LINK
Tremona Garage

#6 User is offline   audiotech 

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Just a reminder to remove the negative lead first and reconnect the negative lead last.
www.audiotech.org.uk

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic