• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Improving The Headlights On The Puma

#1 User is offline   puma power 

• Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

HI Guys

The puma is a fab car and i love it to bits, probably the only thing wrong with it is when i drive at night. I swear the headlights arent very good.

Is it just me? The headlamps/lights just dont illuminate the road enough. Its very annoying :(

Is there any way i could improve on this (tried or tested methods)

Any particular bulb upgrade, my friends were tellling me to buy and install a xenon HID kit? Where would the ballasts go as there isnt much room in the engine bay. Any reccomendations of good kits out there

Hope you can shed some light

CHeers guys!

#2 User is offline   PG12 

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

hid kit wouldn't get through mot as puma doesn't have leveling mechanism

you can get "100% brighter bulb than standard" replacements anywhere

tbh couldn't tell much difference after fitting mine
RPJ DAMPENERS - POWERFLEX ALLROUND - JANSPEED SS SYSTEM - SOLD - probably in bits now...

#3 User is offline   Dogsbody 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

Presently after market HID are not part of the current MOT checks, so mine has sailed through for the last two years. ( Ford garage )
But I did read it was going to be included next year, but it hasn't been confirmed.
HID is illegal though to after market fit, like PG12 says.
So This site does not suggest HID fitment.

The option a lot of members go for are the Halfords Extreme brightness bulbs.
Normally Buy One Get One Free.
I have fitted these to the Wife's Toyota, as I didn't want to mess around with a car that's only a year old fitting HID.
They are MUCH Better than standard and almost on par with my HID's.
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   wrayvon 

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

I have just fitted HIDs to mine, I have to say they are incredible. I am amazed at the difference they have made! Really noticeable!

Obviously not advising it though....
Sam Wray
Web Developer
-----------------------
2000 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux

#5 User is offline   fordfreak 

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:47 PM

I've had HIDs on mine for a few months now. Absolutely brilliant. Well worth the £35.98 delivered within 3 working days off ebay.

#6 User is offline   Midnight Blue 

• View gallery

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

Halfords Extreme Brilliance.
Posted Image

I stole BenF's Thunder ...

Pat

#7 User is offline   puma power 

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

Thanks peeps, Really feeling the HID's but as you guys say they are illegal and i really dont want to attract that sort of attention

Ill check out the bulbs

has anyone tried

Philips Extreme bulbs or OSRAM night breaker plus?

#8 User is offline   Sex Kitten 

• View gallery

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

i had phillips in my last puma - made a big difference
sex kitten
come up and see me...make me smile :wink:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO -What a Ride!:D

1.7 Moondust Silver Sep 2002 - Aug 2009, 1.7 Silver Thunder Aug 2009 -

#9 User is offline   puma power 

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

going to try a set of halfords brilliance and see what they are like

#10 User is offline   Thefastone83 

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys. I'm new here. This is my first post and it's coz I've had my puma almost a year and this is my 1 and only criticism. First thing I done when I got it, was replace my lights with halfords brilliance. They made no difference to mine. At night I'm never 100% sure where the road is goin. Been reading the previous replies so I'll try them out and see how I get on. Cheers.

#11 User is offline   wrayvon 

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

To be honest, I would just fit HIDs. Even though they may be illegal, or will be soon (not quite sure), I would put money on it that you won't get pulled. They are still not as bright as a hell of a lot of cars on the roads so why would you single you out with less bright lights :rolleyes:
Sam Wray
Web Developer
-----------------------
2000 Ford Puma 1.7 Lux

#12 User is offline   Rich_ST 

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

View PostThefastone83, on 08 February 2011 - 05:56 PM, said:

Hey guys. I'm new here. This is my first post and it's coz I've had my puma almost a year and this is my 1 and only criticism. First thing I done when I got it, was replace my lights with halfords brilliance. They made no difference to mine. At night I'm never 100% sure where the road is goin. Been reading the previous replies so I'll try them out and see how I get on. Cheers.

Have you tried cleaning the lenses, including inside the plastic lense, and the glass projector lense?

It isn't the illegal thing that puts me off a HID conversion, as I think the only time it would be an issue is MOT time, what really puts me off is horror stories I have heard that 'standard' headlight wiring cannot handle the increased power of the headlights and in a worst case scenario could result in a burning/fire risk, and also the plastic lenses melting from the heat. Has anyone else heard this?

#13 User is offline   Thefastone83 

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

I have tried cleaning the projector lens as well as the onside and out of the plastic casing. I don't know much about the inner workings of cars and tbh don't actually know what HID stands for. Lol. I have a mechanic that is willing to do work for me at very reasonable prices so I'm gonna aak his advice on the best course of action. Will post my results as and when I get this fixed. Will defo ask about the risks regarding the wiring and fitting a HID kit. This bit is a little off topic but any advice would be appreciated. I have a hands free kit that plugs into my cig lighter. Every time I take it out and put it back in it blows my fuse. Also have what I believe is my traction control light and my abs light on, on my dashboard. Not constantly but is defo on enough to be bothering me. Have a few wee niggles with the car but I ain't complaining coz it's a great wee machine. Power, handling, drivability all good and it's even spacious enough for me and I'm over 6ft.

#14 User is offline   eldoodarino 

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

View PostRich_ST, on 09 February 2011 - 09:19 PM, said:

Have you tried cleaning the lenses, including inside the plastic lense, and the glass projector lense?

It isn't the illegal thing that puts me off a HID conversion, as I think the only time it would be an issue is MOT time, what really puts me off is horror stories I have heard that 'standard' headlight wiring cannot handle the increased power of the headlights and in a worst case scenario could result in a burning/fire risk, and also the plastic lenses melting from the heat. Has anyone else heard this?

It's nice to see someone has thought thought the implications of changing the lights...

When the light assembly is new the lights are perfectly fine...it's the quality and clarity of the plastic that makes a big difference....fitting phillips blue vision or halfords equiv does (or should) make a huge difference to clarity and definition of the beam.....

My lights have also been crap since my spray work last year.... not because of overspray i think , just because there's so much dust and muck got into the lights whilst they were off the car...

Rgds

Chris
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#15 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

My HID's are actually rated at a lower current than the OE bulbs so my wiring is pretty safe, especially as I was running 100w bulbs for a while when I was experimenting with ways of improving the lights.
Not heard of any lights melting with HID's
But and its a big BUT, I have heard that they will be failing cars on the MOT if they have after market HID's fitted soon. :(
So it swap back to halogens for a day when its MOT time.

I have never had new head light lights on a Puma, so I can't compare like Chris can on how good they were.
All 3 of my Puma's have had crap head lights when standard.

The main thing against fitting is they they are illegal. ;)
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Julesp1962 

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

I would concur with several of the posts about, having tried all kinds of different bulbs for the dipped beam mode, and while some did make a bit of difference (i think it was the Osram Night breakers that were the best of the ones I tried), all i seemed to be doing was spending £25-30 here and there every few months to gain minimal improvement. The reality seems to be that the essential design of the light cluster is flawed! Ok, it looks great and was all part of the striking feline presentation of the Puma, but for night driving I have to say my previous Fiesta Mk IV was far superior in dipped mode, so I find myself flicking as often as possible to main beam when I can, but not so as to dazzle other road users. It does appear that an HID kit represents the best technical solution, if not for much longer a wholly legal one.

Thanks, Julianne x Posted Image

This post has been edited by Julesp1962: 08 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

#17 User is offline   Julesp1962 

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

PS: Further to my previous message, I was wondering if anyone had tried adapting any other light fittings to mount in a Puma by way of a suitable and effective alternative?

Thanks, Julianne x

This post has been edited by Julesp1962: 08 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

#18 User is offline   ewizzy 

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've just spoken to my local MOT station. Their reply to me regarding aftermarket HID bulbs in my puma was thus:

We check light angle, beam pattern, and function. As long as the bulbs aren't purple, or obviously too blue, then there is no reason for us to look any further.

So there you have it kids.... Use a 4300k 35w hid kit, hide the ballasts, and you'll be fine ;)

#19 User is offline   CartMan 

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

should also add, that hid kits under 2000 lux is it? don-t require autoleveling and washers...
1998 Puma 1.7 Replica FRP. innlet nr 138
Projekt tread http://www.pumapeopl...pic=104790&st=0

Time, is the fire in which we burn

#20 User is offline   Dogsbody 

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

My FRP had run HID's since 2008, I was a bit concerned about a MOT change which might mean I would have to remove them for the test.

But it was never included, so like you say. Just make sure they are not "Blue" tint and away you go. :)

HID headlights tend to get people on here a bit hot under the collar, as they are illegal.
But as they chose not to include it in the MOT it would appear nobody in authority is interested.

Mine are 6000K colour brilliant white, I think the 4300k will look slightly yellow.

Next best is Osram night breakers or Halfords extreme bulbs ;)
MK4 XR3i
Mk3 XR3i
R Reg 1.7 Puma
T Reg 1.7 Lux Puma
Now its Racing Puma 072

Graham

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic