Pumapeople: The Puma And The Puddle - Pumapeople

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Puma And The Puddle Sceptics and pessimists need not apply! Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   usapuma 

• Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:21 AM

Hello all,

I'm about to embark on a journey and I would like to share it with you. My name is Chris - new to the Puma world but not new to the automotive world. I can rebuild an engine component by component and tune an aftermarket ECU with a laptop if that helps illustrate my skills and interests.

I really like what I have seen on this forum - people seem very friendly and not on high horses (have you ever visited a Skyline forum?!). I love the camaraderie between the FRP folk and the open door to admirers of their Tickford-tuned weapons. I feel comfortable in this community from what I have read so far and hope that you enjoy my crazy journey. I feel I can share it with PumaPeople without fear of getting assassinated by ill-informed morons - unlike MX5OC; what a joke.

I have always been fond of the Puma and have driven a few - they never cease to impress as a drivers car and the FRP looks fantastic. I'm a bit of a traveller to the US and Canada and quickly realised that these great little cars never made it there. With plans to spend a considerable amount of time in the US this year - I thought it was time to introduce one to the USA on a longer-term basis than the press cars of the 90s...

I know what you're all thinking... "This guy is nuts - he won't get it through customs, it will get crushed, you can't import it etc. That's another nice Black Edition in the scrapper and this moron will have a heavy bill for the privilege!" Well, you'd be somewhat right - I am a bit nuts and thought I would start a blog to document the process. If you would care to read the story so far, you can find it at:

http://usapuma.blogspot.co.uk/ - most recent posts are at the top.

Peace out...

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

Why not if money is not a blockage. Good Luck.
Parts might be hard to come by locally in the US as whilst in Europe Puma/Fiesta/KA parts abound I don't think there was a shared car model available in the US.
Will be interesting to follow.
Read your blog :-)
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   usapuma 

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

You're quite right, parts will be a problem. Because the car is so simple, I'm hoping that frankensteining stuff will work but most of all, I'm hoping I get some trouble free motoring!

Thanks for reading my blog. I'm hoping that some material and corrections can be made on the advice of PumaPeople.

Thanks for the acknowledgement :)

#4 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 08 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

My spares would include a HCV and some jubilee clips for sure.
A coolant change and new hcv (not an ebay clone) before I went.
Did the can belt change include all the bits and tensioner.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#5 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

View Postusapuma, on 08 January 2016 - 02:21 AM, said:

Hello all,

I feel I can share it with PumaPeople without fear of getting assassinated by ill-informed morons - unlike MX5OC; what a joke.

:roflmao:

sounds like a good project..

:beer:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#6 User is offline   pumamartin 

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

Chris COOL MAN :cool:
I will follow your blog with great interest.
Hope you and your great little Puma will have great Time.
Looking forward to all the Pictures and the storys.

Have fun.

#7 User is offline   AlanH 

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

You have a big hart, and I hope all goes well. You may find that your not the only one through, I'm not sure where I read it, I think it was on the FRP owners club, but some chap said that he was at one of the big beach / auction shows, and had seen an FRP there, I recall it as one of the other FRP owners who seem very well informed said that it was not an FRP, but a clone based on a LHD which some chap over the pond had put together from original parts.

#8 User is offline   usapuma 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

HappyKat- thanks bro. HCV - did not know this was a common fault. Have already done the coolant change from fitting a new engine but I will sure as hell grab a spare HCV as will be spending a lot of time in Florida! Timing belt with tensioner appears done from inspection. You should have seen the original - it was epic!

Eldoodarino - you get me!

Pumamartin - thank you for your support fella :)/>

Alan H - bloody piss on my daffs why don't you!? I'm only kidding pal, I would love To learn more about this FRP rep..where can I find more info?

Not long now kids... Ship sails on Jan 22nd!

This post has been edited by usapuma: 09 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

#9 User is offline   vatokat 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:20 AM

You'll be a headturner, no doubt. Good luck!

#10 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

HCV plastic perishes with age so I would deffinately take a spare.
Spare set of bulbs too might be an idea and a couple various fuses.
Not long :-) it will be epic.

#11 User is offline   pumamartin 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:53 PM

the adventure starts al ready at januari 22.
:cool:

replace the HCV before you go, you don't have to wore about it anymore.
If you take the spare with you, don't forget the coolant.

have fun

#12 User is offline   XAF 

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

Awesome story, looking forward to the updates!

I tried to persuade my fiancé that this would be a great idea for an extended honeymoon for similar reasons to yours. It would be ace to take one of my cherished cats over the pond for the memories, but also as the Yanks would be confused as hell to what this little car from In-gaa-laaand was. Obviously she said no and I've more chance of growing a second head than ever getting sign off!!!!

Best of luck to you, look forward to the updates.

#13 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

Word of recommendation as well: in addition to the infamous HCV, I would replace the thermostate housing as well and in addition the coil pack. With those three parts you should be covered and the car should work fine in ling(ish) run!

#14 User is offline   YOG 

Posted 10 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Good luck!

Switch your headlights over before you leave:
http://www.pumapeopl...onversion_Guide

and take a spare key!
Rick

The Haynes Fiesta Manual (3397) can answer a lot of your questions.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Fanwheel 

Posted 10 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

Great idea! Wierd deja vu for me as I have lived in the states before and taking a puma there is something I have fantasised about myself!

In my head I'll be retiring to Florida and it would be a dream to ship my puma out there to carry on using as a 2nd fun car. Mine will be way over 25yrs old by then & ok for import regs...

Ps just out of interest I did read somewhere about a small batch of Pumas (30 ish) being sold in Argentina under a 1 off promotion, so tiny numbers have been to the Americas before

#16 User is offline   usapuma 

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys. It's nice to see.

I looked up the Puma in Argentina and there were indeed a small number sent there: http://foros.hondacl...s-1.7-VVT/page6
It seems maybe 16 - 18 cars, which is cool... Not RHD though ;)

The parts advice is invaluable. After reading the first HCV suggestion last week, I have noticed that mine is terribly intermittent! I will have to replace it and take a spare to be on the safe side. As for the thermostat housing, annoyingly I junked the old engine without having grabbed the thermostat housing! Damnit! Though I did know to grab the coilpack...

Thanks for the headlight trick... I was wondering. My lights are always full of condensation at the moment with all the rain recently. Is this a common fault?

I have also added another post to the blog :)

#17 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

Make sure the head light vent pipe is attached to the rear of the unit.
Check for splits in the black rubber around the outer edge.
Some misting is standard :-)

Are you taking the moondust or panther?

Good work on preparing.

#18 User is offline   Wild E Coyote 

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

TBH, you're better without the old thermostate housing as the new is very cheap. It is a plastic item so you are better off taking a new one

#19 User is offline   usapuma 

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:20 PM

Good advice... I will order from Ford 👍🏻

Booked the shipping today :)

So here's a new conundrum... My VIN is the same as a 2012 Ford Fusion according to the insurance company in the US (Progressive if you're interested).. The guy is having to write to the underwriters! The 10th digit is a C, which over there denotes 2012 and in fact I get a similar story when I decode the VIN online.

As a result, my quote jumped 55 bucks for the 6 month term because they can't determine the accuracy of the VIN! What a ball ache.. First hurdle though tbf.

#20 User is offline   Oates 

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Sounds a great trip, ive driven in most countries around the world, but would have been great doing it in a Puma, read the blog,I would also be curious where the cars are that appeared in the adds too. I can only hope they are still alive.
I sure would be keeping my eye on the oil levels too.
Cheers..
Matt

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic