Pumapeople: Fuel Pump Has Died - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fuel Pump Has Died Help needed on what to buy

#1 User is offline   sharonbacon 

• Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

Can anyone help with what fuel pump I need to buy. Have been told the fuel pump has gone and needs replacing. Looked on eBay but there seems to be different types that look totally different.

#2 User is offline   Ian G 

• Group: Admin

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:34 AM

Depends on the age of the car, also bear in mind that a lot of sellers will not photograph the actual item.

Post the reg or if you don't want to do that just the rightmost two letters from the VIN number, ie. WF0CXXGAECXJ14154

#3 User is offline   Oates 

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

I too have had a problem recently in this area. Any advice on what is a reasonable price to pay for fixing. ?
Cheers
Matt

#4 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:10 PM

My fuel pump fuse is popping. Often.

Condition - six month old fuel, probably needs a filter, when fuse replaced it runs fine, then decides to crap itself on warm start usually some 20 mins later. For obvious reasons I've risked straying too far from home with it.

Have chucked some Redex in there too, but apparently that's not helped.

Sorry to hijack, but it's sorta related! Suggested troubleshooting?

#5 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Perhaps the filter is clogged and restricting flow but I don't drive my car much and so far haven't had a problem like this.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#6 User is offline   Ian G 

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

Current draw because of the increased load, can't speak for the warm start issue but the pump too will be running hot if its got bad fuel or an old filter to get it through, hence its increased propensity for current draw.

#7 User is offline   StevenRaith 

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:55 PM

Well, changed the filter and the problem has gone away.

So for reference, as it's a fairly easy job to do and not terribly dangerous despite fuel being involved (in all seriousness, more fuel came out of the filter than came out of the tank, as the pump stops it from leaking out, obvs) I'd suggest changing it before getting too far ahead of thyself, unless you know for a fact that the pump itself is dead/dying.

I used a jack, but I reckon you could park on a kerb and get enough access. Biggest problem is the clamp securing the filter, but to be honest, if you grab a suitably sized jubilee clip beforehand (size it against the replacement filter, add some slack for the bracket it hangs from) you can just rip the damned thing off rather than trying to be 'gentle' with it like I did.

#8 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Yey for a simple fix :-)
In on my third filter I changed it this April regardless.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic