Pumapeople: Rac Check On Potential New Puma Buy...but.. - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rac Check On Potential New Puma Buy...but.. Should I buy this car?? PLease help Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cgandps 

• View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

I wouldnt buy a car with problems considering there are alot out there to choose from

#2 Guest_XIIVVX_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (cgandps @ Dec 9 2005, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldnt buy a car with problems considering there are alot out there to choose from

You might wait a very long time before you found a five-year old car without any problems.

Mechanical problems are easily fixed, it just takes money. Body issues are more of an cause for concern.

XIIVVX

#3 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

i wouldn't say it had 'problems' sounds fairly typical of any 5 year old car....

stick some 'bars leaks' in the rad.... that usually does the trick for another year or two...

smile.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#4 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Been @ Dec 6 2005, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I don't know much about cars, but love the puma and the way it drives.
I found a 2000 model with 43,000 miles on the clock for £4,400. With FSH from Ford. Silver 1.7i
But before I completed the sale, I got the RAC to give it a proper looking over.
They said it would fail the MOT on this point:
lower suspension arms and rear suspension arm and brushes need replacing...

He also found some other minor points: such as damage to the rear wheel and the rear left side wing.
And the exhasut silencer is corroding.
He also found a suspected radiator leak.

He said it wasn't a show stopper, but I'm not so sure. She won't budge on price as she says its a good price anyway. I have to let her know ASAP though. Can anyone advise please!

Thanks

Silver Pumas are ten to a penny.....move on if you dont feel 100% confident with it..theres thousands out there waiting to be bought, and there will be some mint ones im sure.

One thing tho...i got speaking to someone in the trade and they said that RAC/AA inpectors are VERY VERY picky, and will pick up and note ANY slight thing that is not 100% perfect on the car. Now thats not a bad thing at all, but i would say other than the MOT failing items the others could be said of MOST cars......Exhaust corroding - whos exhaust isnt corroding (its metal, it gets wet, it corrodes!!) ????...and er SUSPECTED leak...its suspected and so isnt 100% defffinately faulty.

If it was me, and there was NOTHING else wrong with the car and the bodywork was MINT then i would probably buy it...and get the work done...as there are worse cars with worse problems out there. I dont know what the book price is, but if she is asking top book then i would not pay it cos it has work that needs doing...if she dont budge then you need to decide how desperate you are to buy THAT particular Puma
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#5 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (ALAN at PUMABUILD @ Dec 7 2005, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All the items mentioned are normal apart from the radiator

Bushes will cost about £40
All exhausts rust at the back this will cost between £40-£150 depending on exhaust you prefere.
Radiator is £75

I would try and get £300 off the price or go and look for another one.

You seem to have missed the labour costs from here Alan wink.gif or are you offering full bush replacement for 40 quid now?

ja_bebe.gif

#6 User is offline   Been 

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for that. Have looked at lots of other cars since then, and its still the best one I've seen. She's lowered the price to £4,300 - and we've agreed.
I looked at a lovely black one today - but my boyfriend said he got a bad feeling from the seller - who claimed it had FSH and then we found out it hadn't - and hadn't been serviced for two years.
At least this one we've agreed to has been owned since new, has a FSH, low mileage and justa few probelms.
Thanks for all your help. It really helped.
I really wish I could learn more about how cars - or my puma worked, so I knew how to looo after it and maintain it without my boyfriends help. I pick her up on MOnday - any advice would be welcome - where do I start?

#7 User is offline   Jessie 

Posted 09 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

We thought about this a while back, going to Pumabuild for a service lesson but thats where it stopped sad.gif
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation

#8 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (XIIVVX @ Dec 9 2005, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You might wait a very long time before you found a five-year old car without any problems.

Mechanical problems are easily fixed, it just takes money. Body issues are more of an cause for concern.

XIIVVX

Mine's a 1998? (S reg when I bought it) and one of my Dad's mechanics checked it over. He was quite frustrated to NOT find anything wrong with it smile.gif

Guess I was just lucky. cool.gif
I think the only faults I've noticed are the parcel shelf and the smelly air con. laugh.gif

#9 User is offline   Been 

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (LisaDJ @ Dec 10 2005, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine's a 1998? (S reg when I bought it) and one of my Dad's mechanics checked it over. He was quite frustrated to NOT find anything wrong with it smile.gif

Guess I was just lucky. cool.gif
I think the only faults I've noticed are the parcel shelf and the smelly air con. laugh.gif

Thanks for that. Cute cats by the way - have two myself (three if you include the puma - sorry, was never very good at jokes!). My cats are brother and sister called Mod and Fluff. Yours?x

#10 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Matt and Tiggr @ Dec 9 2005, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem to have missed the labour costs from here Alan wink.gif or are you offering full bush replacement for 40 quid now?

ja_bebe.gif

mm my thoughts exactly.... mine cost me £100 even when i took the wishbone arms off myself....

hammering out the old bush was a real beaatch tho.... Old mart got stuck in to them... comp.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#11 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (Been @ Dec 10 2005, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that. Cute cats by the way - have two myself (three if you include the puma - sorry, was never very good at jokes!). My cats are brother and sister called Mod and Fluff. Yours?x

Tiger is the tabby & Daisy is the white & black one. Got them last year, both from a shelter.
We had Tiger first, he was about 8 when we had him, then had Daisy a month or so later. So they didn't get on that well but they've calmed down now. They still chase each other round the house like mad things sometimes. cool.gif

#12 User is offline   danellis 

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (LisaDJ @ Dec 10 2005, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tiger is the tabby & Daisy is the white & black one. Got them last year, both from a shelter.
We had Tiger first, he was about 8 when we had him, then had Daisy a month or so later. So they didn't get on that well but they've calmed down now. They still chase each other round the house like mad things sometimes. cool.gif

What is it about Puma drivers and cats?ja_bebe.gif
I've had three but they're all dead by now :-(

DJ
===
DJ

Showing his age be damned, Pumasparky's sig is *mint*

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#13 User is offline   spenspuma 

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:10 PM

May i say LisaDJ, you look HOT in your new Avatar piccie!!! good.gif
SPENCER
FORD PUMA THUNDER 2002 (SOLD)
HONDA CRZ 2013

#14 User is offline   LisaDJ 

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

cool.gif Thanks

#15 User is offline   Been 

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hello there,
Got my car on Monday, 200 mile round trip, and then back to London by 2am and work the very next morning (on deadline day - ugg) but it was worth it.
She's absolutely fantastic, and drives like a dream. The only immediate thing I notices was that when you use the remote locking, the indicators don't flash - is this normal?
Otherwise, she's great - and has all the lux pack stuff, so that's nice too, and a FSH with Ford.
Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it.
Look forwrad to driving her up north for Christmas and lots more before and after then.

#16 User is offline   Big Boy Al 

• View gallery

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

hello mate. yep normal to make the lights flash double click it which double locks the car good.gif

they dont flash when unlocking though and you cant open the boot with the engine on good.gif
Posted Image
FRP 241 RINGMEISTER -23 LAPS = 296.7 MILES COMPLETED, MORE TO COME NEXT YEAR

#17 Guest_Matt and Tiggr_*

Posted 16 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (eldoodarino @ Dec 10 2005, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mm my thoughts exactly.... mine cost me £100 even when i took the wishbone arms off myself....

hammering out the old bush was a real beaatch tho.... Old mart got stuck in to them... comp.gif

Its the one job I'd happily pay someone else to do. Far too much skin to lose, and having done all 8 on my landy its not a job I'd class as DIY...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic