Pumapeople: Driver Side Window Won't Go Up! Garage Are Idiots. - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Driver Side Window Won't Go Up! Garage Are Idiots. Anyone help?

#1 User is offline   UmaStar 

• Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

After being hit by a samll wooden fence post (ahem...) my puma went to be repaired. The guy did an awesome job on it and the massive dent and scratch has gone (it was the driver side panel but the big one at the back, not the door).

The day after getting it back I opened my window and it wouldn't do back up again. When I hold the button down the window goes half way up and then stops and kinda sticks out. I can't do it up unless i get someone to push it up from the outside as i hold the button down. It's really annoying as to get out of the apartments where I live I have to press a button to get out of the car park, and to do this i need to open my window. So then I have to drive to work and freeze with the window half down, and try and get someone to help me put it back up. As you can imagine it's reeeally annoying me.

I took it back to the garage and he said it was nothing to do with them as they wouldn't have touched that panel. I explained it was fine when it went in but not when it came out, could it have knocked the window off the runner things inside the door panel when he was banging the dent out of the other? He said he'd look at it out of courtesy but whenever i call him he just says he's really busy and to call back.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Can I do it myself by taking the door panel off? Does anyone know anywhere in Coventry that could look at it for me on an evening/weekend? Preferably cheap as I've just bought a new apartment and it's christmas and my boss is a scrooge... anyone enough of the moaning, help would be appreciated thenk you smile.gif
Laura

#2 User is offline   angelxxx 

• View gallery

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

as a quick fix try getting hold of the window from the top and tilting it back.... i have this problem on mine and if i tilt it back it sits back on the runners

#3 User is offline   UmaStar 

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (angelxxx @ Dec 20 2006, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as a quick fix try getting hold of the window from the top and tilting it back.... i have this problem on mine and if i tilt it back it sits back on the runners

thanx, i tried that and it worked the first couple of times but now it doesn't seem to work huh.gif
Laura

#4 User is offline   angelxxx 

• View gallery

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

i know theres a post somewhere on here on how to fix it in detail i just aint ever had a probloem with it to the extent tht i can be bpthered just now blush.gif

#5 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:09 PM

When repainting a panel, paint shops often overspray on to adjacent panels to blend in the new paint with the old. This ensures that you don't get a stark contrast between two adjacent panels if the new paint doesn't quite match the colour of the old paint.

The damage to your car was on the offside rear quarter panel, which is next to the door. If they oversprayed on to the door, then I think it's likely that they would have stripped the door of all of its trim (including the glass runners) before they painted it. They may have even removed the entire glass frame, as the only externally visible parts are black rubber.

The Puma has an unusual window design, in that the angle of the glass frame in relation to the rest of the door can be adjusted. This is so that you can ensure that when the door is closed, both the glass and the door itself are flush with the car body. If the angle is adjusted too far, it can cause the glass to jump out of its runners half way up its travel.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#6 User is offline   jimmurf 

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (UmaStar @ Dec 20 2006, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After being hit by a samll wooden fence post (ahem...) my puma went to be repaired. The guy did an awesome job on it and the massive dent and scratch has gone (it was the driver side panel but the big one at the back, not the door).

The day after getting it back I opened my window and it wouldn't do back up again. When I hold the button down the window goes half way up and then stops and kinda sticks out. I can't do it up unless i get someone to push it up from the outside as i hold the button down. It's really annoying as to get out of the apartments where I live I have to press a button to get out of the car park, and to do this i need to open my window. So then I have to drive to work and freeze with the window half down, and try and get someone to help me put it back up. As you can imagine it's reeeally annoying me.

I took it back to the garage and he said it was nothing to do with them as they wouldn't have touched that panel. I explained it was fine when it went in but not when it came out, could it have knocked the window off the runner things inside the door panel when he was banging the dent out of the other? He said he'd look at it out of courtesy but whenever i call him he just says he's really busy and to call back.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Can I do it myself by taking the door panel off? Does anyone know anywhere in Coventry that could look at it for me on an evening/weekend? Preferably cheap as I've just bought a new apartment and it's christmas and my boss is a scrooge... anyone enough of the moaning, help would be appreciated thenk you smile.gif

Hi take off the door panel. pull back the cover . Youll see on the bottom of the window in roughly the middle a pastic support colored green on mine with 2 screws . The window is moving due to these screws being loose. Adjust window and tighten screws and check to see if it works. Hope this helps it worked for me
Jimmy

#7 User is offline   Mountain Lion 

• View gallery

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (jimmurf @ Dec 20 2006, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi take off the door panel. pull back the cover . Youll see on the bottom of the window in roughly the middle a pastic support colored green on mine with 2 screws . The window is moving due to these screws being loose. Adjust window and tighten screws and check to see if it works. Hope this helps it worked for me

Is this the piece of plastic that goes up and down a vertical metal runner?
If it is, then it's also worth checking that the runner itself is secure at both ends. Earlier this year, the runner on our standard Puma became detached from the door body, which meant that the window wouldn't wind up properly. I riveted it back in place and it's been fine ever since. However, in this particular case, I think the attempted opening and closing of the window was accompanied by a loud clunk.

(the beauty of mathematics)

#8 User is offline   csquire4 

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

I've got similar problem with mine (no accident damage though). I sprayed silicone on the seals around the whole frame and this has enabled me to get the window up and down. It still doesn't sit in the frame perfectly but it was a good short term fix until I get it sorted properly.

#9 User is offline   UmaStar 

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

how do i take off the door panel?! am i gonna break something if i try and do it myself? Apart from a nail smile.gif
Do u think it's worth just taking it to a garage or is it fairly easy?
Thanks for the advice guys
Laura

#10 User is offline   jimmurf 

Posted 21 December 2006 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (UmaStar @ Dec 21 2006, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how do i take off the door panel?! am i gonna break something if i try and do it myself? Apart from a nail smile.gif
Do u think it's worth just taking it to a garage or is it fairly easy?
Thanks for the advice guys

The door panel is held on by screws and clips. You wont break anything.Three is a screw where your door opening handle. A screw in the area of your door pocket and a screw around the area of main closing handle all covered wit a plastic disk which you can remove. Just go along bottom and side of door and pop off panel due to clips.
Jimmy

#11 User is offline   Count_Dragula 

Posted 21 December 2006 - 03:10 PM

If the clips are anything like the ones of my old Ka you will brake most of them as they come out. Theyre about 20p for a bag of them from fords though.

Mine does the whole window thing but i just grab it with one hand and push the button with the other. No while driving, obviosuly.
Sun is in the sky oh why oh why would I wanna be anywhere else?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic