Pumapeople: Abs Or Traction Control Fault - Pumapeople

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abs Or Traction Control Fault

#1 User is offline   cgg0 

• Group: Members

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

Please help we are a little stuck on this one.

We are the proud owners of a 2000 1.7 Panther black Puma. About a month after we bought it a noise, which we now believe to be the TC (Traction Control) pump, was kicking in when driving under normal conditions. Followed by the ABS & TC warning lights on the dash coming on. A read of the fault codes revealed that there were multiple faults with the vehicle speed sensors. A diagnostic by Ford came back with the suggestion of changing the abs module and pump, which has been done with a 2nd hand part and the exact same fault presents. All the wiring has been extensively checked. The ony parts remaining are the vehicle speed sensors. On a road test the speed sensor are producing the same road speed, as if to say they are working.

Has anyone had anything similar? Want to cover all options before we start paying out for the sensors, as with all things it's bound to the last one of the four that we replace thats playing up, if thats what it is at all.

Also does anyone know what a fault code of 9676 would be.

any help would be most appreciated.

#2 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:53 PM

welcome biggrin.gif
have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes in the hope it looses all the fault codes and start from a clean base to see if they are still real fault codes.

have a read of this to click me
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#3 User is offline   cgg0 

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 25 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome biggrin.gif
have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes in the hope it looses all the fault codes and start from a clean base to see if they are still real fault codes.

QUOTE (happy-kat @ Feb 25 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
welcome biggrin.gif

Thanks for your reply.

When we had the new abs pump and module fitted, the codes were checked and it was clear at that point. Since then it is still giving 5 codes for both front sensors and a few unknown codes.

#4 User is offline   big g 

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:49 PM

try giving the sensors and sensor disks a clean first

#5 User is offline   cgg0 

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (big g @ Feb 25 2007, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
try giving the sensors and sensor disks a clean first

the sensors have been cleaned, one of the disks was slightly warped and producing spikes on a test, but this was strainghtened out and restored to normal. Thanks for your reply.

#6 User is offline   thornbird34 

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

Had a similar problem, both my abs and traction control lights were on all the time. Diagnostic's says its the front o/s abs sensor broke. Anyone got any idea how much it might cost to get replaced?

#7 User is offline   pumastew 

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

I also had the problem you describe, turned out to be the front offside ABS sensor. Had it replaced and problem cured.

#8 User is offline   cgg0 

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (pumastew @ Feb 28 2007, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also had the problem you describe, turned out to be the front offside ABS sensor. Had it replaced and problem cured.

The fault codes are being checked on each ocassion and it seems to be pointing at the fron of the vehicle, but usure exactly which one. But now two of you have come up with the front offside might consider that as the first port of call. Cheers.

Thornbird34 I will make some enquires and when I find out I will post them up for you as well.

Thanks all.

#9 User is offline   cgg0 

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (cgg0 @ Feb 28 2007, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fault codes are being checked on each ocassion and it seems to be pointing at the fron of the vehicle, but usure exactly which one. But now two of you have come up with the front offside might consider that as the first port of call. Cheers.

Thornbird34 I will make some enquires and when I find out I will post them up for you as well.

Thanks all.

Have just poken to Ford, they say that there are two kinds one for the front and one for the rear, although not interchangable the front one will do either front wheels. Fords price fro the part alone is £116 plus VAT, plus fitting. We have a large and reliable scrappy near by and they are going to charge £25 plus VAt for the same part. Dependent on whether you have a friendly mechanic or not I know which one I will try first. Will post the result.

#10 User is offline   thornbird34 

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:53 PM

Had it fixed. Sensor cost £97.40 with labour at £40. Pleased it was only one that was broke. Everthing running fine again now. biggrin.gif

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic