Pumapeople: My Turn To Attempt The Challenging - Pumapeople

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Turn To Attempt The Challenging beating the rust, my progress thread Rate Topic: -----

#181 User is offline   Shimmyhill 

• Group: Members

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Amazing job being done here, i am about to start on mine - how much product do you think you have used so far? I have some hydrate 80 and dynax UB for some initial work i want to do asap but will start to get the S50 etc ready for spring time when i will fully attack the car!

#182 User is offline   happy-kat 

• Group: Admin

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thank you, it never stops really just be being lazy between bouts.

I am still on the original bottle of Hydrate 80.
Have used so far maybe 5 cans of Dymax S50.
I think a whole can and started a second one of Dymax UB for where that was used mainly on the underside. I think that second can is about half way down now.

I also bought a spray can of zinc primer, however on reflection a small tin would have been easier to work with.
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#183 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

My next project is to have the front wishbones removed and stripped so I can get then blasted, zinc painted and then powder coated.
whilst at it I will have the top mounts replaced and also do the same treatment to my front springs.

I am debating also taking my subframe down too and also getting that blasted, zinc painted and then powder coated.
Does anyone have any experience of seeing how much if any rust is lurking actually behind the subframe please?

A picture from 2 years ago.
Posted Image
searching is fruitful | I'm a sponge not a mechanic | please do try that if stuck with a Puma problem whilst waiting for a reply | For the Puma fan this read 'The Inside Story Book' is very nice to own sometimes still seen for sale

#184 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

I take it no one has any experience about what lurks behind the sub frame?

#185 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Blue3 on Project Puma had his subframe powder coated. I plan on doing mine as i didn't get round to it when i did my wishbones.

http://www.projectpu...hp?f=64&t=11063

http://www.projectpu...hp?f=31&t=15390

#186 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think I will just go for it, and possibly look to get it properly allignment checked afterwards to make sure the subframe is still square to the chassis as there is an amount of play in the Ford fixing points. Rang my local Ford and they have no reference/recall of the original Puma TSB notice 145/1998 for the subframe alignment adjustment, so they no longer have the stuff they used then to do that. It was to do with the Puma leaving the factocy wrong in a certain batch, caused excessive tyre wear. Slightly concerning as it was due to the production tightening sequence but I can not find reference to what is the correct tightening sequence to use for the subframe.
I wont be rebuilding everything from scratch with new bits. I will reuse everything and where possible tidy it up but I am not going to get precious about the hubs and stuff and strip them down to nothing. Sometimes I feel you just use a part till it naturally fails then fit your replacement spare new part. Otherwise what do you do in another 10 years etc. if you change parts prematurely based on looks rather then wear.

#187 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

There is a thought about the mating surfaces. On the rear beam these were ground clear of powder coat.
Not sure of the impact of powder coating thickness on the subframe mounting accuracy.

#188 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

can get the subframe alignment pins for you from spx if you want, around 60 quid

#189 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

in fact if you want to do a deal il pay 15 quid towards them if you promise to let me borrow them when i do mine lol

#190 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

If you doing an SPX order can you get me a FRP cam tool. I was talking to you around Chirtmas about it but totally forgot. Will send you a PM later.

#191 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

okies

#192 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

OK to the offer please I will lend the subframe allignment thingy out to you after. :) Sounds like a good plan to have a set of these available thank you.

Oh pants I can feel a new ABS loom being required, as it looks like it needs to come out as part of this job :| maybe I wont need to strip it that much, it could be still all connected as I am not seeking t dismantle the nubs and stuff, just remove the springs and dampers. I may even decide to treat the springs in situ and not powder coat them this time, just do new top mounts etc.

#193 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ok il get an exact quote Monday and let you know

#194 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Thank you very much :)

#195 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Spoke to my powder coater today, all sorted so things are looking good, and with Steve coming to the rescue with the aligning pins (thank you) I am feeling a bit more relaxed about the job :)

#196 User is offline   ScubaSteve 

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

I havent forgotten :) but i had forgotten i was on holiday this week and wont be able to fax across anything until im back, next week

#197 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'd buy a new roll bar whilst your at it... they're bound to get bendy over time..would love to change mine for a new one..

:good:
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#198 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Steve that buys me time anyway to do the work before needing to refit the subframe, enjoy your week off.

Chris what is the roll bar please?
Is that just a bush? I have all new bushes.

google to the rescue.
Drop links so a Puma part.
Will investigate price and fit new ones possibly.

em... looks like quite a job to drop the subframe, I wonder if it can be done with just undoing the manifold to centre section join and droping it through there. Add a new O ring to the shopping list then.

#199 User is offline   Bentleya 

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

I think Chris means the Anti Roll Bar?

If so it's the bar which runs from the bottom of the drop link to the bottom of the other drop link and it has 2 bushes on the Subframe.

Drop links are around £60 a pair for Genuine Ford ones.

#200 User is offline   happy-kat 

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

OK, none the wiser still on that part.

When removing the front kuckle does anyone actually use the 'special tool' please?

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic