Pumapeople: Dreamscience Project For 1.7 - Pumapeople

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dreamscience Project For 1.7

#1 User is offline   volcomstone411 

• Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

Ok so basically, i baught a Tuner package from Dreamscience. It cost £900.

This includes DSF3000:

Advantage 3 tuning software:

And LIVELINK Datalogging:

This also came with a USB dongle with the ford encryption so i can access the ecu.

The Encyption of the ECU is TAPE. Incase you ever decide to buy similar.

The service was excellent and was next day delivery after signing contracts. And the manager was a top bloke and so helpful.

I started with by plugging the DSF3000 into the diagnostic port and checking all my DCM codes (fault code), to check that all my car was working correctly. Ontop of this i used the livelink to read all the cars settings. Basically you plug the DSF3000 into your OBD diagnostic port where all DSF3000 changes are made and then the other end into the USB port of a laptop, and drive. It will record all the information for you as you can see on dials and a graph above, and then it can be replayed once your out the car later. Ideal for reading fuel trims and air settings etc etc. This allowed me to check that everything was sound, which it wasnt, but i knew that would be the case as i had modified bits on the car.

So working with the bits i had, i began to make a list of effects these would have on the car. First of all, and most obvious is the Racing Puma Cams. Fortunately Dreamscience also sent me a standard 1.7 puma value file, with frp spec cams already changed. This made things handy so i could just plug them into the car and go.

When i did this however, it knocked out my PATS imobiliser. Thankfully after panicing badly...i found this:

So i could reset the imobiliser and i was off lol

So yea the performance gains were noticeable but i had been playing with dsf3000 earlier i found that retarding the spark and enriching the fuel really helped.

Oh btw i must mention at this point that with every file you make, you can allow certain adjustments to be carried out on the dsf3000 itself:

Which altogether makes general fiddling easier. In there i can adjust the rev limit upto frp spec 7200RPM, and control the idle, as well as retard spark, enrich mixture and change the fan settings.

So after tweaking the FRP cam settings to a standard 1.7, enriching the mixture, raising rev levels, and retarding spark across various rev bands...i found myself a 12 stone man, and a boat load of bits doing some impressive 0-60 times. But im not going to tell you till i have some rolling road figures.

But thats it for now, but im going to update every change i make to the car.

Posted Image
All stuff puma - puma technical & all things rebuilt...
See my website for Snow School Information

#2 User is offline   Sw33t 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:27 AM

Very impressive smile.gif

#3 User is offline   Dan 

• View gallery

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

Looks good, pricey though! But I guess you can charge people to do the mod to their cars?

So do you have a 1.7 or FRP? And do you have FRP cams or std cams?

#4 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

have a 1.7 standard puma fiesta, with port and polished head and frp cams, and a 2l mondeo throttle body
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   craigfrp 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (volcomstone411 @ Nov 13 2007, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
have a 1.7 standard puma fiesta, with port and polished head and frp cams, and a 2l mondeo throttle body

what power does that thing give out?

click sig for progress thread ..

#6 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

117 on the dyno with standard managment
but trust me, its proper proper better now lol
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:14 PM

Right, big tuning day today, a.k.a sick day :shifty:

Started off by fitting my 2l throttle body from a mondeo. Its the plastic kind and looks farely mahussive compared to the old throttle body. First off i had to adjust the length of the throttle cable as it was slack, using it meant having to bury the throttle to go anywhere. But that was soon sorted.

As far as managment went, the first thing to do was to see how the car adjusted to the throttle body. Mine did it in 2 ways. Firstly being stupid rich, and then not holding idle.

Then i setup the managment for the throttle body, which basically meant 3 things. Adjusting the air flow of the throttle body, Which was as simple as taking a reading of #/min airflow through livewire datalogging, and then just update the ecu here:

Along with that i can up the idle as you can see on the screenshot. Thats a simple case of trial and error.

Finally i need to check the air fuel ratio. Dreamscience this is always the best starting point. Again this is easy done. If you datalogg the car you can see what the air fuel ratio is, and when you have your foot to the floor, i.e. Wide Open Throttle right from 1500-7200 you can see that the a/f should be around 1. If its lower its lean, and if its higher its rich. Therefore as mine was at 0.873, then i just needed to slowely increase the enrichment until it sits nicely around 1:

Finally i wanted to apply the Racing Puma Value files, or at least compare them, and then apply just the cam angles and advanced spark data. That was really simple, you basically open a standard puma value file, and apply the values i want:

All was set. Went out and gave it a blast....rapid :thumbsup:

few little bits i want to sort out, mainly spark adjustments a low end fuel adjustments, but the basics are their :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Turby 

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

It would be interesting to see how ecu measures air/fuel ratio based on a narrow band lambda sensor which is only capable of outputting a square wave indicating a lean / rich condition.

One other thing the "Air Fuel Enrichment for Engagements" is a map based on engine coolant temperature (ECT) - is this a modifier for fuelling based on the engine temperature ? also 65536 looks suspiciously like a "null" value in binary.

Interesting stuff - now to get it on the rollers and see the power / torque curves smile.gif

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope - 1709)
Stop being spoon fed and GOOGLE it!

#9 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Turby @ Nov 13 2007, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be interesting to see how ecu measures air/fuel ratio based on a narrow band lambda sensor which is only capable of outputting a square wave indicating a lean / rich condition.

One other thing the "Air Fuel Enrichment for Engagements" is a map based on engine coolant temperature (ECT) - is this a modifier for fuelling based on the engine temperature ? also 65536 looks suspiciously like a "null" value in binary.

Interesting stuff - now to get it on the rollers and see the power / torque curves smile.gif

i really cant answer the first question, only that to get accurate results i force the car into closed loop. then open it up again and recheck results. Also turn off adaptive fueling and learning KAM, so the car didnt give me varying results.

and i think it is a binary code = null, but i think that means it applies all the time, like a mutliplier. Its a set value that figures out over the whole rev band. You could do it by rev stages like 1000rpm = 0.87 2000rpm = 0.89 3000rpm = 0.90 etc etc so it would get richer up the rev bands. Which is probably what i will do over time, but atm im only just grasping the basis. I think anal fiddling will come later.

But for now its running better than with standard managment and a bigger tb so im pleased. Oh and its quick. Im on the rollers next wed hopefully. cool.gif

probably to get 95 bh or something lol
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:49 PM

small correction btw, its a throttle body from a focus tongue.gif laugh.gif
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Max M4X WW 

• Group: Validating

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

Any pics of the modeo TB fitted? Do you have to do ANY mods? I know the MAF is the mondy 2.0 one standard so why the TB isnt i have no idea!

~ 1.7 16v, Milltek Manifold, Sports Cat & System, FRP Inlet, FRP Map, MSD Coilpack, Click Sig for M4XWW.CO.UK ~

#12 User is offline   eldoodarino 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

whats with the anal fiddling... laugh.gif

do we need to know about that stuff... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Wizards Of Nos 60hp progressive delivery.... yeah baby yeah :-o
Denso Iridium Plugs
Helix Clutch
Mobil 1

#13 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Max M4X WW @ Nov 13 2007, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any pics of the modeo TB fitted? Do you have to do ANY mods? I know the MAF is the mondy 2.0 one standard so why the TB isnt i have no idea!

ffs mate, just message me over msn lol

but its not mondeo, its focus. The mondeo one is the one i spoke to you about. The focus one is plastic, and huge lol, 75mm bore, need to get a big assed pipe lol

And anal fiddling is getting the car running like a brand new car.

I have a port and polished head, and frp cams
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Max M4X WW 

• Group: Validating

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

Urrm, Do i have you on msn?

~ 1.7 16v, Milltek Manifold, Sports Cat & System, FRP Inlet, FRP Map, MSD Coilpack, Click Sig for M4XWW.CO.UK ~

#15 User is offline   MattC 

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (volcomstone411 @ Nov 13 2007, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So after tweaking the FRP cam settings to a standard 1.7, enriching the mixture, raising rev levels, and retarding spark across various rev bands...

I hate to say it, but all the above can be done with the basic Dream science flashtuner...

#16 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (frp338 @ Nov 14 2007, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to say it, but all the above can be done with the basic Dream science flashtuner...

i know, but only very very basic, what if you want richer fuel low end, and lean topend??

its far far more complicated than tuning a car from a flash tuner...

add me on msn if you want volcomstone411@hotmail.com im on ukfn btw dry.gif
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Right, some more updates. Basically as we all know i am using a standard mainfold instead of frp one. This means that the predicted airflow data is incorrect. So ive spent most the eve sorting this out.

Its farely straight forward, but non the less needed sorting.

You can see that the information is diff, standard right, frp left:

Data in frp ecu is calculated at different rev intervals, so i had to get my calculator out and the multiply the whole column:

finally i used visual aids to varify the air curves.

Its only a very minor change as the data is rarely used as the maf is calculated from the MAF and not the inlet capacities, however i fear it may effect other tables, so needed returning back to stock. :thumbsup:

Also ive turned adaptive learning back on just to see what effect it will have.

Ive also purchased a 52mm Air Fuel ratio dial. Its not very accurate at all, will really need a wideband 5 sensor job, But can't afford £200 just yea, and i just wanted a rough guide as what is happening. The dial will only be useful when im very close to Stoich or ideal air/fuel ratio. So ill go to an mot garage and get as close to stoich as i can, then the dial will be more accurate. Just a safety thing really, incase ive entered a stray figure somewhere, it will tell me instantly. Last thing i want to do is accidently run it too lean and melt something lol

The livelink datalogging does the same job by recording short term fuel trims, but it really is hassle getting and plugging in a laptop all the time lol.

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   edd 

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

i guess you can tune a bog standard 1.7 to be a lot better as well?

#19 User is offline   volcomstone411 

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (edd @ Nov 16 2007, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i guess you can tune a bog standard 1.7 to be a lot better as well?

yea, im pretty sure i could do something, even if its just taking off the torque limiting.

Ford seem to be a little shy advancing / retarding ignition on the puma, that has helped a lot, specially with high grade fuels wink.gif
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   edd 

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (volcomstone411 @ Nov 16 2007, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yea, im pretty sure i could do something, even if its just taking off the torque limiting.

Ford seem to be a little shy advancing / retarding ignition on the puma, that has helped a lot, specially with high grade fuels wink.gif

where you based? id pay for a decent live map woot2.gif

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic